A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1) by John…

A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1) (original 1989; edition 2004)

by John Grisham

A Southern town is shocked when a 10-year-old black girl is raped by two white men--until the girl's father takes the law into his own hands.
Member:Gotcha3613
Title:A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Dell, Paperback, 515 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:finished, thriller, legal, own

A Time to Kill by John Grisham (1989)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: A Time to Kill's courtroom drama and emphasis on race relations in a small town in the South definitely brought to mind the trial scenes in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.
    The King of Lies by John Hart (VictoriaPL)
    The Quiet Game by Greg Iles (VictoriaPL)
    The Color of Law by Mark Gimenez (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Grisham has several books that deal with racial prejudice in the South, especially when it relates to trials. This is the one whose title I could remember offhand. Gimenez uses some of the same ideas with some of the antagonists in this book that Grisham uses.… (more)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (citygirl)
    citygirl: The ugliness of small-town Mississippi in racial matters wrapped in a compelling, page-turning story.

English (127)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (134)
A Time to Kill by John Grisham (1992)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
When 10 year old Tonya is raped by 3 grown men, her father takes the law into his own hands and kills them. Jake, a father himself, is horrified by the rape and horrified by how quickly the mostly white town turns on the black father who killed the white men who destroyed his daughter's life. This is the tale of how a white lawyer battles the court system and the court of public opinion for the life of a black father who did what he thought he had to do to keep his child safe. This is my favorite book by John Grisham and one of my favorite Grisham movies. A must read, imo. especially right now. ( )
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
This was definitely a court room drama and there were definitely parts that I just wanted to rush through to get back to the plot and the interesting stuff. This was John Grisham's first book (and also the first book by him that I have read) and I think I can tell that this was his first book because there were parts that didn't make a difference whether or not you read it because while it might have been "interesting" or "added to the story", it didn't add in a way that made you glad you had read it. For example, he gives the name and background a of boy who decides to sell lunches and refreshment in the court room during lunch recess when no one wants to give up their seats. Grisham went into such detail on what the boy was like as a child growing up (thrifty and constantly trying to make money) that you started to feel like you knew who the person was, but once the lunch recess was over, you didn't hear one more word about this boy. While it kind of added to story, at least a page and a half was wasted on these descriptions and back story and in the end, it had no bearing on the plot or any characters in any way, shape, or form. Unfortunately, there are many examples of this throughout the book.

I really liked the story line of this book and while there were certainly appalling parts (I wasn't sure I could continue to read the book after the very first chapter and the horrific descriptions of the rape of Carl Lee's daughter)I still liked the message of the book and would have come out with the same verdict that the jury did.

I really like Law and Order and CSI, but I think I will leave the court room drama to Judge Judy. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Date approximate ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
I read this as warmup for Grisham's new Sycamore book, and I was really disappointed. The legal stuff was naive, the bad guys (KKKers) had zero depth. Ridiculous relationships, and an emotional argument in the end that the lawyer hadn't thought of making??? ( )
  bederson | Dec 17, 2020 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barániková, ŠarlotaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Defert, DominiqueTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tremps, EnricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Renée,
  A woman of uncommon beauty,
  A fiercely loyal friend,
  A compassionate critic,
  A doting mother,
A perfect wife.
Billy Ray Cobb was the younger and smaller of the two rednecks.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Grisham's book A Time to Kill was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,288,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible