The Client by John Grisham

The Client (1993)

by John Grisham

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Defending Jacob by William Landay (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These legal thrillers are heavy hitters with emotional depth, developed characters, and frightening revelations. In both, the plot revolves around a young boy's involvement in a murder investigation and trial.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (shesinplainview)

English (51)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (54)
I enjoyed this novel more than I thought I would. I was expecting an average courtroom drama. I was not expecting a character like Mark Sway. I enjoyed watching his character develop and he had me laughing from almost the beginning of the story. He suffered a lot throughout and made a lot of twists and turns but he never lost his sense of humor and his wits. My favorite part was when he was left in juvenile detention with a phone. Not exactly how the police were expecting him to use his phone time. ( )
1 vote jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
John Grisham's The Client tells the story of Mark Sway, whose youthful curiosity leads him to witness the suicide of a Mafia lawyer. Before committing suicide, the Mafia lawyer discloses the location of the body of a high profile murder victim, forcing Sway into a tug of war between disclosing this information to law enforcement and ensuring the protection and safety of his family from Mafia violence.

Grisham has mastered the art of the "page turner," but once in the last fourth of the book I wondered how many more pages of nonsensical narrative I would have to turn. The Client is an enjoyable read, served best with an iced drink and a day off from work, but the primary conflict of the story could be quickly resolved if just one of the characters (namely, Mark, Reggie, and Dianne) makes a common sense decision. There are many opportunities to make wise choices and each are approached with implausible foolishness.

Mark Sway is a wonderfully developed multidimensional character, whose emotional complexity, sense of humor, and loyalty to family are admirable and relatable. Grisham so accurately portrays the tension between precocious maturity and juvenile folly found in pre-adolescent, older sons with abusive fathers and victimized mothers that it makes ones wonder about the events of Grisham's own life. The remaining characters fall a bit flat, including Reggie, who seems to fit the stereotype of the bleeding heart, sensitive liberal trying to protect an innocent boy from the hands of the evil Republican government, and Judge Harry Roosevelt, the judicial rebel with a pretty obvious cause, who is all too corny to believe. The only secondary character who seems not to come from a cookie-cutter is K.O. Lewis, the Deputy Director of the FBI, who reflects both compassion and justice as well as common sense.

One wonders why Grisham felt the need to have a sexy secretary in Roosevelt's courtroom. The "short skirt" scenes seem forced and unnecessary. Must all mainstream fiction express some prurient disposition? Readers would survive if writers didn't try to touch our hearts and our pants.

Overall, a pleasurable read with little to offer but entertainment. ( )
  sjjohnson | Mar 23, 2016 |
11 yr old witness a suicide — strange good mystery — older woman lawyer Reggie Love

In a weedy lot on the outskirts of Memphis, two boys watch a shiny Lincoln pull up to the curb...Eleven-year-old Mark Sway and his younger brother were sharing a forbidden cigarette when a chance encounter with a suicidal lawyer left Mark knowing a bloody and explosive secret: the whereabouts of the most sought-after dead body in America.
  christinejoseph | Feb 1, 2016 |
Three stars for the suspense that is pretty much Grisham's main forte overall. The characters in this book are over the top (especially the kid) and the story is bit of a stretch. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good story about a young boy, what he hears, and his relationship with his lawyer. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

For Ty and Shea
Mark was eleven and had been smoking off and on for two years, never trying to quit but being careful not to get hooked.

Eleven-year-old Mark Sway and his younger brother were sharing a forbidden cigarette when a chance encounter with a suicidal lawyer left Mark knowing a bloody and explosive secret: the whereabouts of the most sought-after dead body in America. Now Mark is caught between a legal system gone mad and a mob killer desperate to cover up his crime. And his only ally is a woman named Reggie Love, who has been a lawyer for all of four years. Prosecutors are willing to break all the rules to make Mark talk. The mob will stop at nothing to keep him quiet. And Reggie will do anything to protect her client -- even take a last, desperate gamble that could win Mark his freedom... or cost them both their lives.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385339089, Paperback)

With her sparkling voice and superb acting ability, Blair Brown gives an impressive reading of this John Grisham blockbuster. The story hinges on a young boy who gets an unwanted earful of murder, politics--and dangerous secrets about both--from a conscience-stricken mob lawyer bent on suicide. "I can tell you where the body is... the most notorious undiscovered corpse of our time." Just the kind of information most children don't need, especially when the snakeskin-wearing hit man finds out what he knows. Aside from musical cues scattered as superfluously as laugh tracks on a sitcom, the production quality is stellar, preserving the crispness of Blair's voice and the nuances of her excellent interpretation. (Running time: 6 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:33 -0400)

"Eleven-year-old Mark Sway and his younger brother were sharing a forbidden cigarette when a chance encounter with a suicidal lawyer left Mark knowing a bloody and explosive secret: the whereabouts of the most-sought-after dead body in America ... Prosecutors are willing to break all the rules to make Mark talk. The mob will stop at nothing to keep him quiet. And [his lawyer] will do anything to protect her client--even take a last, desperate gamble that could win Mark his freedom, or cost them both their lives"--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,884,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible