The Firm (1991)

by John Grisham

Series: Books by John Grisham (2)

At the top of his class at Harvard Law, he had his choice of the best in America. He made a deadly mistake. When Mitch McDeere signed on with Bendini, Lambert & Locke of Memphis, he thought he and his beautiful wife, Abby, were on their way. The firm leased him a BMW, paid off his school loans, arranged a mortgage and hired him a decorator. Mitch McDeere should have remembered what his brother Ray--doing fifteen years in a Tennessee jail--already knew. You never get nothing for nothing. Now the FBI has the lowdown on Mitch's firm and needs his help. Mitch is caught between a rock and a hard place, with no choice--if he wants to live.… (more)
    The Associate by John Grisham (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both books involve lawyers that end up in large firms and are asked to do questionable things within their legal duties. Both main characters struggle with their ethics and come up with a solution.
    False Witness by Randy D. Singer (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both books are legal thrillers. Both deal with a lawyer/law student in an ethical dilemma and show how he/she gets around it by using the law to his/her advantage.
    Startup by Glenn Ogura (Mark-L)
    Mark-L: Authors have very similar styles. Love them both!
    The Tenth Justice by Brad Meltzer (micalbi)

English (90)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (98)
Once we finally got into the thick of the plot, things moved quickly and I wanted to find out what was going to happen next. There were times that I found myself thinking that we needed to get back to the story a spend a little less time on specific details/laws (as I find with most courtroom dramas). Overall, this was a great 2nd John Grisham book and I will read more in the future. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Date approximate ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
Even as a not particularly PC reader I found his descriptions of the female characters offensive and deeply old fashioned.

After recently reading a Michael Connelly book I fancied another legal thriller so decided to try Grisham. Unfortunately I found this book far from thrilling and deeply tedious. I only managed to get through it as an audiobook whilst spending a lot of time in the kitchen during lockdown. ( )
  basilisksam | Feb 7, 2021 |
A real good novel and well written. Travel down a slippery slope with the Mafia and the FBI. Joining a rich law firm in Memphis starts the ball rolling from beginning to end. He has written many books that i have read. This is at the top. ( )
  pgabj | Sep 12, 2020 |
Mixed feeling about this one; to much repetitions of the same words (doubt the cause is limited vocabulary! ) but that felt strange. reads mostly like a movie rather than a book & maybe that is why it became one. Nonetheless these was something catchy about it. ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

To Renee
The senior partner studied the résumé for the hundredth time and again found nothing he disliked about Mitchell Y. McDeere, at least not on paper.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,377,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible