The Brethren: A Novel by John Grisham

The Brethren: A Novel (original 2000; edition 2012)

by John Grisham (Author)

8,20370794 (3.36)44
They call themselves the Brethren: three disgraced former judges doing time in a Florida federal prison.One was sent up for tax evasion. Another, for skimming bingo profits. And the third, for a career-ending drunken joyride.Meeting daily in the prison law library, taking exercise walks in their boxer shorts, these judges-turned-felons can reminisce about old court cases, dispense a little jailhouse justice, and contemplate where their lives went wrong.Or they can use their time in prison to get very rich -- very fast. And so they sit, sprawled in the prison library, furiously writing letters, fine-tuning a wickedly brilliant extortion scam ... while events outside their prison walls begin to erupt.A bizarre presidential election is holding the nation in its grips -- and a powerful government figure is pulling some very hidden strings. For the Brethren, the timing couldn't be better. Because they've just found the perfect victim...From the Paperback edition.… (more)
Member:graps
Title:The Brethren: A Novel
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Dell (2012), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

Work Information

The Brethren by John Grisham (2000)

English (64)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (70)
No real hero in this book. The main characters are men in prison operating a lucrative letter-writing scam, their crooked lawyer, and the strange people who reply to the letters. The con men entrap a powerful man with dangerous friends. ( )
  JoniMFisher | Oct 5, 2021 |
Political/ Legal genre is definitely not my cup of tea!

Here's my review on my blog:
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
I like Grisham's books, but I liked others of his that I've read more than this one. His books are engaging, and interesting reads, but in the case of "The Brethern", I just never bought into the premise, the way it played out, or even the leaps in logic to get to the ending. ( )
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
I'm pretty much a sucker for a Grisham. I've read and loved them all. This one… maybe not quite so much but maybe my expectations are just too high. Three judges get together in a minimum security prison (they are in for a variety of crimes) to run a money making scam and run it they do. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Having read (and/or listened to) an astonishing 36 of John Grisham's novels, I can't be surprised that among them would be some that don't warrant the 3.5 to 4.5 stars that I usually award to his work. In abridged audio format, I found "The Brethren" to be somewhat disappointing. At 6 hours in listening duration, it wasn't long enough for me to find it absorbing, but meanwhile, the plot didn't intrigue me enough to want more. The novel features a trio of incarcerated former judges who spend their jail time seeking to blackmail wealthy, closeted gay men that they entrap through magazine ads. The get into real trouble in trying to ensnare Congressman Anthony Lake, who turns out to be a CIA puppet that the agency is promoting for the US Presidency. The CIA director is appalled by the reduction in military spending and hopes to install Lake as president. His plans include instigation of terrorist attacks and the collection of heavy financial support from weapons manufacturers who will gain enormous profits from Lake's election. The two plots didn't mesh well, at least in the abridged audio version, and the story never quite engaged my belief and interest. In addition, none of the characters was likeable or admirable, and actions of the blackmailing trio of incarcerated judges was especially odious. Further, the ending was something of a dud, as if the author tired of the story. I may try the written version sometime to see if I've judged the work fairly. ( )
1 vote danielx | Jun 19, 2019 |
From Publishers Weekly
Only a few megaselling authors of popular fiction deviate dramatically from formula--most notably Stephen King but recently Grisham, too.

Grisham, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodrigues, Aulyde SoaresTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Gunsteren, DirkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villmann, PeeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the weekly docket the court jester wore his standard garb of well-used and deeply faded maroon pajamas and lavender terry-cloth shower shoes with no socks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible