The Collected Essex County

by Jeff Lemire

Series: Essex County (omnibus)

Where does a young boy turn when his whole world suddenly disappears? What turns two brothers from an unstoppable team into a pair of bitterly estranged loners? How does the simple-hearted care of one middle-aged nurse reveal the scars of an entire community, and can anything heal the wounds caused by a century of deception? Award-winning cartoonist Jeff Lemire pays tribute to his roots with Essex County, an award-winning trilogy of graphic novels set in an imaginary version of his hometown, the eccentric farming community of Essex County, Ontario, Canada. In Essex County, Lemire crafts an intimate study of one community through the years, and a tender meditation on family, memory, grief, secrets, and reconciliation. With the lush, expressive inking of a young artist at the height of his powers, Lemire draws us in and sets us free. This new edition collects the complete, critically-acclaimed trilogy (Tales from the Farm, Ghost Stories, and The Country Nurse) in one deluxe volume! Also included are over 40-pages of previously unpublished material, including two new stories.… (more)

Top hole. ( )
  markm2315 | Jul 1, 2023 |
Surprisingly one of the best family saga comic books I've read in a long time. I originally wanted to reading Essex County by Jeff Lemire not because of ice hockey or because it takes place in Ontario, Canada (to two main themes throughout the three part series) but because when ever I see the name "Essex" (my middle name) I'm compelled to it like a moth to the flame.

I like how it was about Canadian culture (reading it as an American-born). Also, it did a good job with aging which you don't see often in the comic book genre. I can see why it was added to the Canada Reads list. ( )
  Jazz1987 | Aug 27, 2022 |
I wonder if Norm MacDonald has read this. So very much in his wheelhouse. ( )
  ByronDB | May 17, 2022 |
Sparse and beautiful ( )
  nrfaris | Dec 23, 2021 |
The best graphic novel you will read. Ever.

This completed series was originally a 3-part volume first published in 2007.

Lemire has quickly grown to being my favorite graphic novelist writer, author, creator. He is downright raw and dark. In the introduction, written by Garth Ellis, he's compared to Raymond Carver and I've never heard a better description.

Thoughts to come. His books take a while to digest. ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooke, DarwynIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,879,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible