Anthem by Ayn Rand

Anthem

by Ayn Rand (Author)

10,695209684 (3.57)203
Classic Literature. Fiction. Science Fiction. HTML:

Anthem takes place in a dark, dystopian future. Collectivism and socialist economics have driven mankind to a technological standstill. The individual is not acknowledged in this society, the word "I" having been eliminated from speech altogether. Rand explores the tension between collectivism and individualism and equates the errors or triumphs of these with socialism and capitalism.

.… (more)
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopian

Work Information

Anthem by Ayn Rand

1984 by George Orwell (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Both 1984 and Anthem we're inspired by Zamyatin's We. Both are worth reading, as cautionary tales.
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Anthem by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's novella through this unique collection of scholarly criticism.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (myshelves)
    myshelves: Classic dystopian novel.
    Progress by Charles Stampul (Anonymous user)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (TaylorReynolds)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Unionhawk)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (kxlly)

English (207)  German (1)  All languages (208)
I'm big fan of dystopian novels. My personal opinion on this one-and you can take it or leave I could care less--is to read it and then decide whether it meant anything to you. It's 106 pages. Pretty short I'd say.

It's simply written, but don't let the simplicity fool you. It's one of those books that makes you think, if you give it the chance to do so, and analyze the current state of our society. Some of the passages mirror what goes on daily in our present day humanity. It's also interesting to see the evolution of the main protagonist.

As a feminist at heart (don't judge me), I can see what the author did with the secondary character. In my opinion, I don't believe that the intention was to cause a Feminist riot, but I can see what the author was intending on portraying with the characters.

Honestly, don't let my review or other reviews cloud your judgment or inclination of wanting to discover this book for yourself. Take a chance. You might be surprised :) ( )
  prebs29 | Jul 6, 2024 |
Interesting short read and my first taste of Ayn Rand. I've heard the name hyped up over the years and I guess I understand why given that this story was written in 1938. ( )
  MattZiss0u | Jul 4, 2024 |
What I like (and dislike) about Anthem is that, as a dystopian novel, it gets to the point. When it comes to dystopias, who're all too similar to one another, I'm notoriously picky about characterization and plot and am forever in search of some moral, which is why I'm not overly fond of Nineteen-Eighty Four or Brave New World. Anthem, however, doesn't screw around wasting your time with particulars but gives you the gist of what's going on in a single sitting. It's a simple book with a simple purpose, and that's exactly what I think a book like this should be. ( )
  TheBooksofWrath | Apr 18, 2024 |

KrabbyPattyCakes | Dec 3, 2023 |
Well written but very verbose and philosophical book about individuality and freedom. ( )
  gianouts | Jul 5, 2023 |

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peikoff, Leonardsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Meier, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Theriot, ChereNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone. We have broken the laws. The laws say that men may not write unless the Council of Vocations bid them so. May we be forgiven!
This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest.
Rather would we be damned with you than blessed with all our brothers.
The fortunes of my spirit are not to be made into coins of brass and be flung into the wind as alms for the poor of spirit.
I understood that centuries of chains and lashes will not kill the spirit of man nor the sense of truth within him.

Classic Literature. Fiction. Science Fiction. HTML:

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,288,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible