Sky Burial by Xinran

Sky Burial (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Xinran

In this volume, Xinran recreates Shuwen's extraordinary search for her missing husband, Kejun in Tibet. It follows her entry into a landscape that nothing had prepared her for and her separation from her regiment leading to her spending years in an alien and confusing culture.
Member:bethmarch
Title:Sky Burial
Authors:Xinran
Info:Chatto and Windus (2004), Paperback, 256 pages

Work Information

Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet by Xinran (2004)

English (45)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (47)
A few weeks back I read another tale of Tibet, Eat the Buddha. Though the story told in that book was fascinating, the whole was a mess of anti Chinese propaganda. As I discussed in some detail in that book review, I spent a good deal of time in China, in the 80s and 90s including a number of months in Chengdu and villages west of there. People shared with me horrible heartbreaking stories of their experiences during Mao's rule and the time of the Gang of Four. I am no fan of the Chinese government, but there is plenty of real stuff to talk about without ascribing internal evil into every Chinese person and internal good to every Tibetan person. Chinese Tibetan relations are complex.

So I was thrilled to read this book which told a true story, a fantastical tale that is engrossing and sad and informative and free of political editorial. Xinran relates a story as she heard it, and it is filled with lost love and true bravery and respect for every person depicted. I guarantee you have never read a story like it, and that if you have an historical interest in Tibet you will be engrossed. ( )
  Narshkite | May 8, 2021 |
Megkapó könyv az emberi kapcsolatokról, akár szerelem, akár barátság, akár emberbaráti szeretet és tisztelet… ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
Moving, quiet, intense - I liked this a lot. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Xinran recounts, in beautiful terms, the story of a Chinese woman who spent thirty years wandering Tibet in search of her husband, a doctor with the People's Liberation Army who was reported killed in action during the invasion of Tibet. She didn't believe he was dead and spent most of her life looking for answers, never giving up hope that she would find him. A fascinating and wonderful story of love, loss, grief, and incredible strength, simply and lovingly retold. Highly recommended. ( )
  scaifea | Nov 15, 2018 |
A beautiful story, very well told. The story takes us into the conflicts between the Chinese and Tibetan people, and then into the heart of the Tibetan culture. Sad, beautiful, unforgetable. ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |

Xinranprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lovell, JuliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tyldesley, EstherTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Toby who knows how to share love and experience, space and silence
In 1994 I was working as a journalist in Nanjing.

Young Chinese wife seeks
Missing husband in Tibet.
End: Answers. Where's home?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,577,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible