A Way of Being by Carl R. Rogers

A Way of Being (1980)

by Carl R. Rogers

From the Publisher: A Way of Being was written in the early 1980s, near the end of Carl Rogers's career, and serves as a coda to his classic On Becoming a Person. More personal and philosophical than his earlier writings, it traces his professional and personal development and ends with a person-centered prophecy, in which he predicts a future changing in the direction of more humaneness. Now, fifteen years later, the psychiatrist and best-selling author Dr. Irvin Yalom revisits A Way of Being, offering a contemporary view of this remarkable work.… (more)

English (6)  Italian (1)  All languages (7)
There isn't much I can say about this book that isn't already in the blurb. The book has four major parts and these parts are further divided into chapters. The first part talks about his personal experiences and retrospectives on reaching certain age-related milestones. The second part discusses his approach to his work. The third part discusses education and it's future. The fourth and final part discusses Dr. Rogers' personal ideal scenario of the future.

In my own experience, I had heard of Dr. Rogers before but had never read anything by him. Mostly I heard of him when other writers would reference his work, but I don't remember any particular cases.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, yet it seemed lacking in some indescribable way. It isn't as though I had any expectations from this book since I had heard of the author through other sources, but I suppose I wanted something that would impress me a bit more. What I mean is that the ideas present in this book have become more accepted in recent times. Dr. Rogers worked against the grain for much of his career and put a lot of dogma about psychotherapy and psychology on its head. Now it just seems like treating a patient as an object would be anathema.

So then, either Dr. Rogers was far ahead of his time or I merely don't notice the mediocre practitioners that exist out there. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
This was excellent. I started out loving it, though it got a bit dry around the middle. Each chapter is essentially a different essay by Rogers, so my enjoyment varied per chapter. I found the last chapter, The World and the Person of Tomorrow, to be particularly moving. ( )
  ReadandFindOut | Sep 23, 2017 |
Di questo piacevole libro di Rogers salvo tre saggi (quattro, anche l'ultimo, a dire il vero).
Di respiro ampio, parla di massimi sistemi mantenendo l'umilta' dell'Eterno Ricercatore. Per una persona over-70 è ammirevole.
A margine, i gruppi brasileiri da 800 persone devono essere stati qualcosa di irripetibile nella storia dell'umanità. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Group R
  gilsbooks | May 17, 2011 |

Rogers, Carl R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robinson, Mark R.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yalom, Irvin D.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,375,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible