Lord of the Isles by David Drake

Lord of the Isles (1997)

by David Drake

Series: Lord of the Isles (1)

English (13)  Vietnamese (1)  All (14)
I read this when it first came out in '97 and then once again sometime in '99, before I was keeping track of what I was reading. So this is at least my 3rd read.

First off, you have to accept this book for what it is:
A cast of characters who are larger than life, impossible to kill or defeat, who simply cannot fail and who have between them about the personality of half a person.
Situations of epic proportions that simply get bigger and bigger, spiraling out of control until beaten into submission by the characters.

If you cannot accept the above, then you will hate this book, and hence the whole series.

This book was typified by violence, blood magic with horrific results, awesome supernaturalness and some really kick ass fighting. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
While it started out very slow, and I found myself almost ready to quit reading, I pushed on. I'm glad I did. The pace picked up, the plot thickened, and the characters became more interesting. A good book is when you find yourself rooting for certain characters. I found myself rooting, and worrying for them. Some events made me gasp, while others shocked me. Many times, I found myself thinking "Well, I didn't see that coming." Very good read, and looking forward to the next book. ( )
  jimpike69 | Nov 16, 2016 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Overall, Lord of the Isles was a fun read. The characters are all pretty likable and the world they live in is a bit different than your normal fantasy fare. However, the way the story goes the confluence of so many seemingly important people in one small little hamlet is pretty inexplicable. Perhaps the fates have as much to do with the characters placement as it did with my stumbling upon the book in a bargin bin a couple years ago. Either way it's an enjoyable and simple read and one I recommend if you're looking for some light fantasy. ( )
  finalcut | Apr 2, 2013 |
Many threads well woven together with some characters that you get attached too. ( )
  Guide2 | Oct 3, 2011 |

David Drakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hartwell, David G.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, KevinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dan Breen.
My first reader, and a striking example of how different very similar people can be.
Tenoctris the Wizard paused on the spiral stairs to catch her breath and twitch a strand of gray hair back behind her ear.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812522400, Mass Market Paperback)

David Drake made his name in genre fiction with the Hammer's Slammers series of military science fiction about tough future mercenaries, launched in 1979. A versatile writer, he's also published well-received fantasies. Lord of the Isles opens a massive new saga of clashing swords and spells in an archipelago world. One thousand years beforehand, potent sorcery won a war only for it to backlash and sink the winning island. Now, with magic reaching another millennial peak of power, the world is endangered. Among the players are a king's ghost and two magicians who were present at the ancient disaster (one of them caused it), plus modern wizards, warriors, and unknowing descendants of royalty. Drake skillfully juggles multiple storylines as his engaging characters meet a wild variety of danger: rising and vanishing lands, the reanimated dead (not only human dead), out-of-control sorcery, demons, riots, traps, and other planes of reality including hell itself. The magic comes in several fascinating and often unpleasant flavors. Even likeable characters may die. This story reads well and halts at a satisfying moment of victory rather than at a nail-biting cliffhanger. It doesn't quite achieve epic scale--clearly Drake is keeping major trump cards in reserve for the coming sequels. A promising start. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

"In the days following an unusually severe storm, the inhabitants of a tiny seaport town travel toward romance, danger, and ...magic that will transform them and their world."--p. [4] of cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible