Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Eating Animals (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Jonathan Safran Foer

Brilliantly synthesizing philosophy, literature, science, memoir and his own detective work, "Eating Animals" explores the many fictions we use to justify our eating habits--from folklore to pop culture to family traditions and national myth--and how such tales can lull us into a brutal forgetting.
Member:bren
Title:Eating Animals
Authors:Jonathan Safran Foer
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:sustainability, food

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (2009)

English (114)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (130)
The author is clear about his position. The food industry is such that it's nearly impossible to eat meat ethically. While he can be strident, I enjoyed his study of the issue from a cultural, social, commercial and moral perspective, and his willingness to give a voice to all sides. The nature of the book is such that it will few people indifferent, either for or against.
For me, it refined my thought and position as I related it back to my own personal experience and the eating habits that I'm willing to modify... or not.
It's definitely thought-provoking. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Apr 3, 2021 |
Reality is a tough burger to swallow.
  crackmac | Mar 31, 2021 |
This was a really engaging book. I appreciated the firsthand accounts and commentary from people who work in the industry. I also appreciate that the author is coming from a perspective of compassion and welfare while not being PETA-level rabid regarding ethical consumption.

I've mostly watched documentaries about poor farming conditions in the past. My wife and I were vegetarians for over a year but started eating meat again. Having read this, I'm reminded of many of the reasons why we started eating vegetarian in the first place.

I'm not sure we'll ever eat vegetarian again, but we can reduce our neat consumption definitely. And I'm going to make an effort to be sure that any meat we buy is from animals that were mistreated as little as possible.

Factory farming is just disgusting. I can't imagine the health impact of eating animals that were tortured or slaughtered while still alive. ( )
  SGTCat | Feb 25, 2021 |
I reread this book on my Nook during a cross-country flight. Foer, author of “Everything is Illuminated” and one of the New Yorker’s top twenty fiction writers under forty, decided to take a closer look at the American food industry, particularly the animal farming and meat packing processes, after the birth of his son.

This is definitely a book that will make you consider the implications of eating meat, being vegan, or somewhere in the middle. Foer looks at each type of meat, including fish, which is often neglected, and make comments on the impact of each. An excellent contrast to the many food books being published today, but this book is not for the faint of heart. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I got what I needed out of this book. It’s a great intro but didn’t really give me any new information. ( )
  jerame2999 | Nov 14, 2020 |
Animal rights advocates occasionally pick fights with sustainable meat producers (such as Joel Salatin), as Jonathan Safran Foer does in his recent vegetarian polemic, Eating Animals.

"A straightforward case for vegetarianism is worth writing," writes Foer, "but it's not what I've written here." Yet he has, though the implications of what eating animals really entails will be hard for most readers to swallow.

An earnest if clumsy chronicle of the author’s own evolving thinking about animals and vegetarianism, this uneven volume meanders all over the place, mixing reportage and research with stream-of-consciousness musings and asides.

"Eating Animals” is a postmodern version of Peter Singer’s 1975 manifesto “Animal Liberation,” dressed up with narrative bells and whistles befitting the author of “Everything Is Illuminated” and “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.”

What makes Eating Animals so unusual is vegetarian Foer's empathy for human meat eaters, his willingness to let both factory farmers and food reform activists speak for themselves, and his talent for using humor to sweeten a sour argument.

Jonathan Safran Foerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herzke, IngoÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voorhoeve, OnnoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Sam and Eleanor, trusty compasses
When I was young, I would often spend the weekend at my grandmother's house.
"... A farmer, a Russian, God bless him, he saw my condition, and he went into his house and came out with a piece of meat for me." "He saved your life." "I didn't eat it." "You didn't eat it?" "It was pork. I wouldn't eat pork." "Why?" "What do you mean why?" "What, because it wasn't kosher?" "Of course." "But not even to save your life?" "If nothing matters, there's nothing to save."[pp. 16-17]
The entire, complex saga of Agriprocessors ... by the Orthodox blog FailedMesiah.com [p. 287 as a note for p. 69]
See FarmForward.com for details on how to find non-factory-farmed animal products. [p. 310 as a note for p. 172]
Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin, "Rubashkin's response to the 'attack on Schechita,"" shmais.com, December 7, 2004, http://www.shmais.com/jnewdetail.cfm?... (accessed November 28, 2007). [p. 325 as a note for p. 230]

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316069906, 0316069884

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,853,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible