The William Monk Mysteries: The First Three…

The William Monk Mysteries: The First Three Novels (edition 2005)

by Anne Perry

Anne Perry's acclaimed William Monk novels have captivated readers with their rich texture and masterly suspense, leading The New York Times Book Review to exclaim, "Give her a good murder and a shameful social evil, and Anne Perry can write a Victorian mystery that would make Dickens's eyes pop." Now, the first five books in the spellbinding series are collected in this addictive eBook bundle: FACE OF A STRANGER His name, they tell him, is William Monk, and he is a London police detective. With his memory erased after a terrible accident, Monk intends on hiding his condition and starting a new life by tackling a grisly murder case in which each new revelation leads him to the answers he seeks'but dreads to find. A DANGEROUS MOURNING Called upon to investigate the brutal murder of a blue-blooded young widow, Monk is plagued by both his lingering amnesia and an inept supervisor. But when nurse Hester Latterly offers her assistance, together they grope warily through the silence and shadows that obscure the aristocrat's demise. DEFEND AND BETRAY After a brilliant military career, General Thaddeus Carlyon meets his death not on the battlefield but at a London dinner party. Although his wife confesses to the murder, Monk and Hester suspect deceit. With the trial only days away, they feverishly work to unravel the dark heart of the mystery. Praise for Anne Perry and her William Monk series "Perry's Victorian mysteries are marvels."'The New York Times Book Review "There's no one better at using words to paint a scene and then fill it with sounds and smells than Anne Perry."'The Boston Globe "[The] reigning monarch of the Victorian mystery."'People "Few mystery writers this side of Arthur Conan Doyle can evoke Victorian London with such relish for detail and mood."'San Francisco Chronicle "[A] master of crime fiction."'The Baltimore Sun "[Among] Perry's strengths: memorable characters and an ability to evoke the Victorian era with the finely wrought detail of a miniaturist."'The Wall Street Journal… (more)
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:The William Monk Mysteries: The First Three Novels
Authors:Anne Perry
Info:Ballantine Books (2005), Paperback, 1152 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Historical Fiction, Mystery, Victorian

The William Monk Mysteries: The First Three Novels by Anne Perry

This was a 3 book omnibus. I thought the first book was great, the second book was good and the third book was a bit of a grind to get through. I'm not sure why these are called the William Monk Mysteries, as he's pretty much a minor character after the first book. ( )
  MystereityReviews | Mar 11, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy of the first three William Monk mysteries by Anne Perry. Each of the three actually was two mysteries:The whodunnit in each case and also the developing revelations of William Monk"s identity and background following an accident in which he sustained a head injury and subsequent amnesia.

Mr. Monk is a police detective in 1850s London. Ms. Perry describes the Dickensian scenes very well, and the reader is drawn into the scenes: the busy street life, the pubs, the overwhelming and frightening ghettoes, as well as the luxuries of the upper classes. The endings were completely surprising, uncomfortably so.

Given to a new friend when we met for coffee. ( )
  FancyHorse | Jan 16, 2015 |
At first I wasn't too intrigued by the main character, but there are a whole host of minor characters that are quite interesting, I find. ( )
  katejhansen | Nov 20, 2012 |
This is the first book in the William Monk series. Monk, a policeman in Victorian London, has been in a terrible accident. which left him severely injured, and without any memory of his past.

As he slowly begins to piece bits of his life and small bits of his memory back together, he is handed a case that requires him to move among the gentry with extreme delicacy.

As the case unfolds, he uncovers some shocking clues to his own past - clues which could well end his future.

I enjoyed this book immensely. Monk seems to me to be one of the most complex sleuths since Sherlock Holmes.

I've read some of Anne Perry's other series, the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt novels, which I also enjoyed, and I've read several of her Christmas books, which I love, but this is the most well-crafted of them all. I'm glad that there are umpteen more books in this series. I intend to eventually read them all. I hope they are all so strong.

*This book is also the first in my William Monk Mysteries: The First Three Novels omnibus edition. I am only reviewing the first right now. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Dec 7, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible