That Summer in Sicily: A Love Story by…

That Summer in Sicily: A Love Story (edition 2008)

by Marlena De Blasi

Member:nikossf
Title:That Summer in Sicily: A Love Story
Authors:Marlena De Blasi
Info:Ballantine Books (2008) Hardcover

That Summer in Sicily: A Love Story by Marlena de Blasi

English (9)  Spanish (3)  All languages (12)
This the 1st book I read by Marlena deBlasi, it will not be the last. She is a masterful storyteller.I felt transported to Sicily. I learned more abt the customs of my ancestors,more abt myself based on familial history. I hated putting the book down.And I never expected the surprise at the end.If you have any interest to understand the difference between Sicilians and Italians,read this book. If you like books with a history to them, read this book.If you like a love story,read this book.I will never forget Tosca's story! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
3.5 ***
This nonfiction work is subtitled: A Love Story. It’s part travel, part biography, and definitely a love story. It’s jump-off point is a villa in the hills of Sicily that the author and her husband came across on their travels. They wound up staying there for months, and the author, in particular, was completely taken by the owner’s story. Most of the book focuses on Tosca relating the story of how she came to be the ward of Prince Leo and how she inherited the property that she turned into the Villa Donnafugata (Villa of the Fleeing Woman). There is definitely love here. Love of a landscape and of a cultural heritage, love of learning, love of a man and woman, love of life! Her descriptions are luscious; and you can practically taste the food. I got completely caught up in the story. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but my rating is affected by the fact that I had an ARC (advance reader’s copy), so there were numerous editing errors. Also, I would hope that a regular publication might have some photos of the area. I normally round down a half star, but in this case I think I’ll round up to 4 stars. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 22, 2016 |
I enjoyed this as an imaginative fable. Although categorized as non-fiction, the story blurs the line between fact and fable until I can't really credit the 'fact'. Marlena's rich, sensuous descriptions enable one to see, taste and smell the scenes. I was going to say like no other author, but realize I see a kinship between her descriptive abilities and those of Joanne Harris (Chocolat). ( )
  Janet23 | Feb 17, 2015 |
The subtitle of this book is A Love Story. It is not really a story of love. It is a story of lust, of want, of need. And while love is present in this tale, these other emotions supersede the notion of love. The idea that a man would trade an animal for a child, adopt and raise her with his own children, and while still married, claim to have fallen in love with her when she becomes of age is not my idea of a true love story. That premise aside, I found the author’s excessive use of Italian annoying, her style of writing at times both wordy yet unclear, the narrative disjointed, and the story as a whole, disappointing. Supposedly a true story, the author in a disclaimer says she has invoked poetic license and changed many things. Would that she had changed it into a better book. ( )
  Maydacat | Feb 29, 2012 |
This was an tale of life in Sicily and the omerta (vow of silence). The author is fascinated by the tale of Tosca and Leo. Leo, the local prince, receives nine year old Tosca from her father in trade for a horse. She joins his family and is educated. She develops a deep love for Leo and, on her eighteenth birthday, she becomes his mistress. Their love affair is complicated by Leo's marriage to Simona and his attempts to reform the feudal system still in place in Sicily. Leo is punished by the "clan" for these reforms and Tosca must learn to survive on her own. She forms a communal society that helps the street women. She then returns to home in the mountains she inherited from Leo and forms a colony there, where all help one another and live in harmony. The author does a good job of holding the reader's attention and her style of writing is one which is easy to follow. ( )
  graffitimom | Jan 6, 2012 |

"From de Blasi (The Lady in the Palazzo, 2007, etc.), a fragrant tale of life and love in the mountains of Sicily.Shortly after the Venetian interlude she luxuriously captured in A Thousand Days in Venice (2002), the author accepted an assignment to write a magazine article on the interior regions of Sicily. Like many other journalists, she was met by silence from the wary Sicilians. She was about to retire to the mainland when she stumbled upon Villa Donnafugata, whose romantic turrets, towers, balconies and chromatically tiled roof were surrounded by gardens, fields, piazzas and hills. The black-draped, oldish women in residence tended to their various labors, chanted, laughed and prayed. The sun was hot, the smell of herbs suffused the air. Was this a fever dream? de Blasi wondered. No, but it was surely a place from another time, and how it emerged out of feudalism through an act of moral modernity was a story unfurled to the author by the villa’s mistress, Tosca. The tale, which comprises most of the book, is a marvel. As a child of nine or ten, Tosca was sent by her horse-breeder father to live with a Sicilian prince, Leo, who “had a stallion that Tosca’s father wanted more than his daughter.” Early rebellion gave way to affection, then love. Together, in the years following World War II, the prince and his ward brought education, health care and a shared sense of purpose to the village around their manor. Rapture and grief came in measured doses, but ultimately Leo was run out of town for his affront to the “centuries’-old system of hierarchy that kept the wealthy in comfort and the poor in misery.” Even in 1995, when de Blasi first visited Donnafugata, the old ways abided, like the shawl Tosca wore at night, still permeated with the scent of her beloved. Swift, sinuous, deep and brimming with cultural artifacts."
-Kirkus Reviews

"Strangers seldom wander into the mountainous wild at Sicily’s heart. The locals, having resisted repeated waves of invaders, maintain their own traditions in defiance of the outside world. So when de Blasi and her Venetian husband trek into Sicily’s core in search of background for a travel guide, they discover a world much removed from modern life. Persevering in what seems a fruitless search, they finally stumble upon the Villa Donnafugata, an old wreck of a castle presided over by an imperious woman called Tosca. The villa has become a refuge for widows from the region. It also houses a birthing clinic, vital to the mountains’ isolated women. The residents eat well and heartily, the leftovers distributed to the local town’s poor. De Blasi uncovers Tosca’s past, an extraordinary tale of passion and love stretching over decades of the twentieth century. Admirers of this author will relish her latest volume."
- BOOKLIST

“At villa Donnafugata, long ago is never very far away,” writes bestselling author Marlena de Blasi of the magnificent if somewhat ruined castle in the mountains of Sicily that she finds, accidentally, one summer while traveling with her husband, Fernando. There de Blasi is befriended by Tosca, the patroness of the villa, an elegant and beautiful woman-of-a-certain-age who recounts her lifelong love story with the last prince of Sicily descended from the French nobles of Anjou.

Sicily is a land of contrasts: grandeur and poverty, beauty and sufferance, illusion and candor. In a luminous and tantalizing voice, That Summer in Sicily re-creates Tosca’s life, from her impoverished childhood to her fairy-tale adoption and initiation into the glittering life of the prince’s palace, to the dawning and recognition of mutual love. But when Prince Leo attempts to better the lives of his peasants, his defiance of the local Mafia’s grim will to maintain the historical imbalance between the haves and the have-nots costs him dearly.

The present-day narrative finds Tosca sharing her considerable inherited wealth with a harmonious society composed of many of the women–now widowed–who once worked the prince’s land alongside their husbands. How the Sicilian widows go about their tasks, care for one another, and celebrate the rituals of a humble, well-lived life is the heart of this book.

Showcasing the same writerly gifts that made bestsellers of A Thousand Days in Venice and A Thousand Days in Tuscany, That Summer in Sicily, and de Blasi’s marvelous storytelling, remind us that in order to live a rich life, one must embrace both life’s sorrow and its beauty. Here is an epic drama that takes readers from Sicily’s remote mountains to chaotic post-war Palermo, from the intricacies of forbidden love to the havoc wreaked by Sicily’s eternally bewildering culture.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:17 -0400)

The author describes a summer in Sicily where she uncovered the story of Tosca, the daughter of a poor horse trader, who became the ward of the local prince and his family and eventually had a love affair with the prince.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible