The Siren by Kiera Cass

The Siren (edition 2017)

by Kiera Cass (Author)

Kahlen is a Siren, bound to serve the Ocean by luring humans to watery graves with her voice, which is deadly to any human who hears it. Akinli is human, a kind, handsome boy who's everything Kahlen ever dreamed of. Falling in love puts them both in danger, but Kahlen can't bear to stay away. Will she risk everything to follow her heart?… (more)
Member:LadyTime
Title:The Siren
Authors:Kiera Cass (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2017), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

Work Information

The Siren by Kiera Cass

English (46)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
This unique plot was not at all what I had expected. I was pleasantly surprised. ( )
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
OK. So I've decided I will write a review after I reread the old version as well, just to make sure it is as good as I remembered. ( )
  LaurelChandler | Sep 1, 2021 |
2.5 stars ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |

This was very different from what I was expecting. At first, I was put off by the fact that it was in a modern setting, but as the story picked up, I found the concept of the sirens and their relationship to a personified ocean to be very interesting and by far the best part of the book. I loved how the ocean was jealous and motherly yet not completely human. It was remarkable.

The romance was little in the beginning, and it gave an interesting dynamic between Kahlen and the Ocean. It was so interesting. Then it when all mushy-gushy soul mates in the last 30%. I feel like it just vetoed everything I liked and all the complex dynamics at play. The ending just felt unearned. I would have loved to see what would have happened with those extra 50 years and her just moving on or something after the Ocean. That would be a much more interesting story. If it wasn't for that last bit, this would have been at least four stars.

I will, however, give credit where credit is due and say that besides be all-consuming and only meeting a few times, it seems like that had a nice relationship. It should have gotten a lot more development though if she was going to go the whole fated soulmate route. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
For Liz-
Because she’s the kind of girl who songs should be written about, poems should be composed for, and books should be dedicated to.
It’s funny what you hold on to, the things you remember when everything ends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,092,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible