Catching Fire (The Hunger Games) by Suzanne…

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins (Author)

Series: The Hunger Games (2)

40,733171230 (4.18)1 / 949
By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.
Member:Rahhl
Title:Catching Fire (The Hunger Games)
Authors:Suzanne Collins (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, 391 pages
Collections:Fantasy/Sci Fi, Your library

Work Information

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Morteana)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)

English (1,664)  Spanish (9)  German (6)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,705)
The book starts off slowly, building little momentum at times. I told Aaron Guerra, who suggested the book to me, that it was work that was keeping me from finishing it as fast as I did the first. Really, it was because the events were taking so long to get to the action that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get past the first section. Collins manages to ruin the trilogy for me by adding in the problem of who will Katniss choose, but in the end it's clearly an inevitable, unavoidable force that her target audience wanted to know. It doesn't move the plot for me, just makes the character's decision that much harder to make in the end.

The action in the arena is much more bloodier than the first, but isn't lasting. The twist ending, however, makes the book worth the read. And trust me, if you can get past the adolescent nonsense, you get a pretty good read.
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
LOVED it! LOVED it! LOVED it! SOOOO good. 'Nuff said. ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
So much better than The Hunger Games. I understand that Collins had to lay a foundation, but everything about this book is superior to the first. Loved it. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
After playing their tricks on the Capitol in the 74th annual Hunger Games, Katniss and Peeta have to deal with the consequences of becoming the two victors of the previous Games. And since it's Quarter Quell year, President Snow has some tricks and plots up his sleeve as payback for potentially causing a rebellion in all Panem. As these Games approached, Katniss and Peeta have what seems to be the whole Capitol against them. ( )
  nerdytheorist | Dec 14, 2021 |
Such a great sequel. All the tension and twists and cliffhangers of the first along with a solid new path for the story. I loved it just as much this time as I did the first time. ( )
  scaifea | Dec 14, 2021 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol—a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest that she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before . . . and surprising readers at every turn.
Katniss and Peeta
fight the odds once again, but
rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

3 1981

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,171,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible