Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger…

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (2)

41,442171730 (4.18)1 / 949
By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.
Member:phoebenye
Title:Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Morteana)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)

English (1,671)  Spanish (9)  German (6)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,712)
Much awaited sequel to "The Hunger Games," I loved every word and didn't want it to stop. For some reason I cannot predict what is going to happen next in this wild idea of a book. I recommend it to everyone who'll listen. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I enjoyed this book more than the first one. I really started to like the characters and to understand what motivates them ( )
  kskristine | May 17, 2022 |
A powerful look at what the choices we make can mean for the future ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
As with the first book I found this beginning of this horribly slow. It kicks into gear about the half way mark though and after that it's a fun ride. Probably 3.5* if I could give it that ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Content Warnings: Trauma & nightmares, Alcohol consumption & abuse, Blood & gore depiction, Graphic physical injuries, including burns, Needles, Starvation & dehydration,Grief & loss depiction, Death of a child recounted,Death of a father & husband recounted, Death of a friend (on-page), Murder & attempted murder , Knife violence and stabbing, Gun violence,Drowning,Whipping, War & rebellion , Animal death ,Hunting,Poverty

STOP!
Have you read my review of Book 1? Read it now, link is below

This was a disappointing read, it felt sloppy compared to its predecessor and rushed. It was probably written so quickly so that way popularity for the series would grow even more.
Well, that's worked, but did I enjoy this book?
No, unfortunately.
There are so many faults here that it's clear that the writing process was rushed.

First of all, the games section felt poorly done and also, we had a magnificent portrayal last book, did we really need another games? We got one that felt slightly lame at that. The book was just a repeat in some aspects when you think about it.

The plotting and pacing- The plotting and pacing were chopping and changing, almost mechanical like.

The love triangle- This drove me absolutely crazy, I swear this book was made to appease Twilight fans and to focus on the stupid romance.

Parts of the story were also kind of dull.

Some of the Good Things:
-We are shown a state of nature during the games
-We see up close how corrupt the government is.
-Katniss is a pawn
- The last sentence because it was so chilling.

The Movie:
-To watch
I really enjoyed the first movie and am interested to see how it all plays out in the movie adaption. ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol—a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest that she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before . . . and surprising readers at every turn.
Katniss and Peeta
fight the odds once again, but
rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

3 2013

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,275,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible