Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

At War's End

by Anne Perry

Series: World War One Series (4-5)

301607,925 (4)None
Anne Perry is the undisputed queen of historical mysteries--for her Inspector Pitt and William Monk novels, and also her acclaimed WWI series, featuring No Graves As Yet, Shoulder the Sky and Angels in the Gloom. Now Mystery Guild is pleased to present the last two exciting books of the series in an exclusive omnibus edition! At Some Disputed Barricade returns us to July, 1917. Army chaplain Joseph Reavley tries to keep up the men's morale, but rumors of mutiny abound. And when an officer's death results in the arrest of 12 soldiers, Joseph sets out to find the truth. Meanwhile, his brother Matthew learns of a plot to destroy the only men who can bring about lasting peace--and must risk his life to secure the future of millions of others. In We Shall Not Sleep, the guns finally fall silent as the war draws to an end--and the Reavley siblings finally learn who murdered their parents. But they are also about to find, upon returning home, that Britain and the world are forever changed.… (more)

At War's End is a Mystery Guild Omnibus of Perry's final two novels in her World War I series: At Some Disputed Barricade and We Shall Not Sleep. Anne Perry is always a good read. ( )
  ylazear | Jun 26, 2010 |
We Shall Not Sleep:

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

--John McCrae
At Some Disputed Barricade:

To my brother, Jonathan, army surgeon
At Some Disputed Barricade:

The sun was sinking low over the waste of no-man's-land when Barshey Gee staggered up the trench, his arms flying, his boots clattering on the duckboards.
We Shall Not Sleep:

"Home for Christmas this year, Chaplain?" Barshey Gee said with a wry smile.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,554,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible