Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Gutbucket Quest by Piers Anthony

The Gutbucket Quest (original 2000; edition 2014)

by Piers Anthony (Author)

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:The Gutbucket Quest
Authors:Piers Anthony (Author)
Info:Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (2014), 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Gutbucket Quest by Piers Anthony (2000)

I loved Piers Anthony's Xanth books (the ones I read, I probably got up to the 10th) so thought I'd try this one. Although Mr. Anthony basically said that he had nothing really to do with the writing, but just proof reading, it still seemed very much his style of writing. As for the story, the premise of a washed out quasi-famous heavy metal musician with a longing love of Blues music being blasted into an alternate dimension seemed interesting, but the story just never really intrigued me. I believe it may have been the protagonist's attitude which I didn't really agree with. Overall I felt it was an okay book, but certainly not one of my faves. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Apr 12, 2019 |
According to the Author Notes, Anthony lent his name to this one to help a down and out author. I'm not sure I buy that. The tone is too much like Anthony's. This book feels like a grown-up Xanth novel. There aren't as many puns, but then the book is written for an older audience and the "mature content" doesn't have to be disguised.

I enjoyed the story and liked the "matter of factness" of the magic. There's no real explanation - it just IS. And, since my husband plays blues guitar (among other styles), I really enjoyed all the musical references. But, no musical knowledge is needed to understand or enjoy this story. ( )
1 vote dulcibelle | Jan 5, 2009 |
While I was reading this I couldn't help but think that Piers Anthony must have had Jack Black in mind for the lead character. Same body shape, same scruffiness, same passion for power riffs. Is it possible he was thinking of turning this into a movie?
  kamuningangels | Feb 3, 2007 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leming, Ronmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Elwell,TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812564863, Mass Market Paperback)

Slim's a Texas bluesman of a certain age, down on his luck, and just about broke--but hey, that's what the blues are all about. Then, one day, in a single hot burst of lightning that comes straight up out of the ground, Slim finds himself in Tejas. Not Texas, but somewhere else. It's a little bit magic and a whole lot different, but the blues are the same.

And the blues--manifest here in the form of a maple-necked pearl-gray Fender Stratocaster with blue-chrome pickups a.k.a. The Gutbucket--needs him and needs him bad. The Strat's fallen into the hands of T-Bone Pickens and his Vipers, who want to suck up all its power and turn it to evil.

Slim's off and running on the Gutbucket Quest, with the help of his new mentor, rhythm guitarist Progress T. Hornsby, and a purely unstoppable blues singer named Nadine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

Loving the blues and determined to honor them in their truest form, Slim finds himself in the alternate world of Tejas, where the music he cherishes assumes the form of a pearl-gray Strat, sought by the evil T-Bone Pickens who would rechannel the Strat'spowers for his own purposes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible