The Ticking (2005)

by Renee French

A graphic novel about budding artist Edison Steelhead, born grotesquely deformed, who sets out to the big city to seek his fortune after he refuses his father's pleas to have radical plastic surgery.

Renee French never fails to creep me the fuck out. ( )
  alycias | Apr 4, 2013 |
The drawings in this book were fabulous, I absolutely love the style. But the story... The first half I liked; Edison is born and his mother dies, and he has his father's [deformed] face, so the father takes him away where it won't be seen. The first half or so is little Ed just growing and exploring the world around him. But then he gets older and the book takes a rather depressing turn, and it just keeps getting more depressing as it goes on. I want to love it, just like I love the art, and it has a good message, I think. But it's just so utterly depressing. ( )
  .Monkey. | Oct 3, 2012 |
The story of a boy with an unusual appearance and his father, who must have been born similarly, and what that appearance means to each of them. Honestly, this book just made me sad. It's beautifully drawn but I just wanted the father and son to communicate with each other instead of - well, not. Alas. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jul 11, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,135,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible