Burn

by Ted Dekker

520946,702 (3.64)11
Fiction. Romance. Suspense. HTML:

She escaped the fireā??but not the effects of the burn.

Janeal has long felt trapped in her father's Gypsy culture. Then one night a powerful man named Salazar Sanso promises her the life she longs forā??if she will help recover a vast sum of money tied to her father.

When the plan implodes, Sanso and his men attack the gypsy settlement and burn it to the ground. During the blaze, Janeal is faced with a staggering choice.

The impact of that moment changes her forever.

As her past rises from the ashes, Janeal faces a new life-or-death choice. And this time, escape is not an option… (more)

English (7)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Ted Dekker is known for unpredictable twists, and this book is no exception. The plot revolves around a young woman and her struggle over whether good or evil will seize her heart. The depiction of evil people as self-centered is true to life and chilling. Yet the book, as all of Dekker's books, leaves ample room for grace. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  mpotts | Sep 20, 2018 |
I honestly didn't really like the book. I've seen better from Ted, however, it hasn't made my opinion change any of Ted Dekkers obvious ability to write amazing work. ( )
  Phoebestone97 | Jun 30, 2016 |
I struggled to identify or sympathize with most of the characters in the book, but it passed the time on the train without too much mental strain. ( )
  ylferif | Jul 20, 2013 |
I picked up this book because my niece likes Ted Dekker books and I was curious to see what he was like. This book kept you reading. I wasn't a big fan of Janeal and was a bit confused about her also being in Lexie. I didn't care for Lexie as a teen but liked "her" as an adult. There were certainly enough plot twists and an ending I didn't expect. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jul 25, 2012 |
An action-packed story full of mystery that kept me on my toes. My only complaint was that it took me a bit to get into the story because I found the protagonist difficult to connect with and was frustrated by her choices. Despite this, it kept my attention. Midway through, a typical Dekker twist gave the payback I needed to consider this book a win.

I can say without a doubt that I am a fan of the Dekker/Healy combined efforts. Kiss is one of my favorite books and Burn, while not surpassing its predecessor, was a close second. As most of Dekker's books do, Burn tackles tough questions. Specifically, it explores the idea of regret and handling mistakes of the past. Everyone is given a choice, and though we can't change the past, we can decide how it will effect our futures.

This was another book that made me say, "I love Ted Dekker." ( )
  beccajcampbell | May 3, 2012 |

Fiction. Romance. Suspense. HTML:

She escaped the fireā??but not the effects of the burn.

The impact of that moment changes her forever.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,120,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible