Inglourious Basterds [2009 film] (2009)

by Quentin Tarantino (Director/Screenwriter)

Other authors: Arndt Schwering-Sohnrey (Actor), Michael August (Actor), Michael Bacall (Actor), Ian Bannen (Actor), Jackie Basehart55 more, Debra Berger, Rainer Bock (Actor), Daniel Brühl (Actor), Gedeon Burkhard (Actor), Michael Constantin (Actor), August Diehl (Actor), Omar Doom (Actor), Julie Dreyfus (Contributor), Ken Duken (Actor), Patrick Elias (Actor), Michael Fassbender (Actor), Alexander Fehling (Actor), Bela B. Felsenheimer (Actor), Carlos Fidel (Actor), Olivier Girard (Actor), Sylvester Groth (Actor), Peter Hooten (Actor), Jacky Ido (Actor), Samuel L. Jackson (Actor), Harvey Keitel (Actor), Diane Kruger (Actor), Mélanie Laurent (Actor), Samm Levine (Actor), Wolfgang Lindner (Actor), Sönke Möhring (Actor), Sally Menke (Editor), Denis Menochet (Contributor), Mike Myers (Actor), Andrew Napier (Actor), Gregory Nicotero (Actor), B.J. Novak (Actor), Donald O'Brien (Acteur), André Penvern (Actor), Michael Pergolani (Acteur), Petra Hartung (Actor), Brad Pitt (Actor), Sabrina Rattey (Actor), Robert Richardson (Photographer), Tina Rodriguez (Actor), Eli Roth (Actor), Paul Rust (Actor), Richard Sammel (Actor), Michael Scheel (Actor), Til Schweiger (Actor), Lea Seydoux (Actor), Anna B. Sheppard (Designer), Joshua Sinclair (Acteur), Bo Svenson (Actor), Bo Svenson (Actor), Rod Taylor (Actor), Massimo Vanni (Acteur), Christopher Waltz (Actor), David Wasco (Designer), Fred Williamson (Actor), Martin Wuttke (Actor)

During World War II, a group of Jewish-American guerilla soldiers, led by Lt. Aldo Raine, become known as "The Basterds." They are chosen specifically to spread fear throughout the Third Reich by scalping and brutally killing Nazis. The Basterds soon cross paths with a French-Jewish woman who runs a movie theater in Paris which is targeted by the soldiers. A plot is set in motion to kill the Nazis at the theater's movie premier, including Adolph Hitler.… (more)

English (7)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (12)
I loved it, while at first hand this isn't my style.. But I realized I want to see more Tarantino's!
T is making one film of all main action genres? Than this will be the war movie.

(So happy i don't recognize (famous) actors, haha. Thanks!) ( )
  EMS_24 | May 4, 2019 |
World War, 1939-1945
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
"Once upon a time in Nazi occupied France."

One hell of a movie. Not my favorite Tarantino movie (I’m a big fan of Kill Bill), but certainly his best. The first time I saw it I said I didn't know what to make of it, except that it kicks ass. Still kicks ass. But it no longer seems to me like a genre-defying extravaganza; it's purely a Western, and a surprisingly subtle one.

Concept: A
Music: A

Enjoyment: A plus

GPA: 4.1/4 ( )
  comfypants | Feb 13, 2016 |
In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a group of Jewish-American soldiers known as "The Basterds" are chosen specifically to spread fear throughout the Third Reich by scalping and brutally killing Nazis. The Basterds, lead by Lt. Aldo Raine soon cross paths with a French-Jewish teenage girl who runs a movie theater in Paris which is targeted by the soldiers.
(source: TMDb)
  aptrvideo | Apr 5, 2021 |
See Tarantino's Basterds at From Word to Word
  jeremylukehill | Feb 1, 2010 |
If the trailers do their best to peddle Brad Pitt blasting his way through The Dirty Dozen, Part Deux, don’t blame Harvey Weinstein and Universal for trying. Whatever they thought they’d be getting for their reported $70 million, it wasn’t the _Moulin Rouge! _of war movies. By which I mean one set in Nazi-occupied Europe at pretty much the level that Puccini’s Tosca takes place during the Napoleonic Wars. One crammed to the gills with elaborate palaver in subtitled French and German. One that builds to a plot to kill Hitler that plays out like The Wizard of Oz transposed to the Third Reich and rewritten by Tennessee Williams on a binge...

it ought to go without saying that Tarantino’s characters are strictly unbelievable as human beings. Magnified to the mythic max, they’re the L. Frank Baum versions of 1939–45: the Plucky French Jewess, the Suave Nazi Monster, the Caustic Kraut Sexpot, the Erudite British Commando, and the other stalwart fixtures of a bazillion Gott in Himmel comic books. But the movie’s preposterousness is its poetry. Most operas are preposterous, too—kind of by definition, which must be why devotees never stop blathering about being transported—and you’re a hell of a lot less likely to doze off at this one.

added by SnootyBaronet | editGQ, Tom Carson

After I saw “Inglourious Basterds” at Cannes, although I was writing a daily blog, I resisted giving an immediate opinion about it. I knew Tarantino had made a considerable film, but I wanted it to settle, and to see it again. I’m glad I did. Like a lot of real movies, you relish it more the next time. Immediately after “Pulp Fiction” played at Cannes, QT asked me what I thought. “It’s either the best film of the year or the worst film,” I said. I hardly knew what the hell had happened to me. The answer was: the best film.

Tarantino, QuentinDirector/Screenwriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waltz, ChristopherActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wasco, DavidDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williamson, FredActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wuttke, MartinActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My name is Shosanna Dreyfus and THIS is the face... of Jewish vengeance!
This is the 2009 Film directed by Quentin Tarantino. Its title was inspired by the 1978 film Inglorious Bastards by Enzo G. Castellari. Please do not combine the two films.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,970,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible