Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus…

Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity (edition 2010)

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross (Illustrator)

Member:geekyartistlibrarian
Title:Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Peter Gross (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2010), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey

English (50)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
Tom Taylor's father was a famous children's author, who wrote a massively successful series of books featuring a young wizard named Tommy Taylor. It's kind of a cross between Harry Potter and the dilemma faced by a grown-up Christopher Robin.

Since his father's mysterious disappearance (and presumed death) Tom has been making the convention circuit, signing autographs and basically coasting on the continued success surrounding the Tommy Taylor books. This all changes when at a routine question and answer session a woman accuses Tom of not being who he say he is, of being some kind of imposter set up by his father for publicity purposes. All hell breaks loose as fandom goes out for his blood, a cosplayer gets a little too into character, and a mysterious organization decides to move against him.

This book was a lot of fun to read, Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity only collects the first 5 issues but some solid groundwork gets done. Bill Willingham (of Fable fame) gives a self-serving introduction, but Carey and The Unwritten don't need his patronage. The series has a kind of inventive wonder to it that I found lacking when I recently read the third volume of Fables. This is surprising to me, because I've read Carey's work with Ultimate Marvel and he failed to make the Fantastic Four interesting. Though Ultimate Vision showed some creative backbone. That doesn't explain why The Unwritten is all over the place good, but I'm just so glad it is.

Tom apparently isn't interested in reading himself, but he was been drilled in all kinds of literary geography and trivia by his father. In search of some answers and continuing to avoid the ever-more-fanatical fandom he goes to the Villa Diodati, the last place his father was seen and where he spent some of his childhood - the fact that the Villa Diodati was the birthplace of Frankenstein and possibly Paradise Lost isn't coincidental. The issues are interspersed with substories depicting scenes from the Tommy Taylor books themselves as well as other stories, which establishes the greater literary reality Carey is trying to get across.

Really enjoyable, I've already read The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man, and can't wait to pick up 3-5. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Ohh my this graphic novel was so good for me, I know not every reader loves this book and I totally understand why. But I absolutely love and enjoy everything about it. This graphic novel was another Litsy recommendation that a friend of my rec on Litsy, that I had to give it a shot. Since I am in a graphic novel binge right now I wanted to give it a shot. And I am so glad and happy that I did, now I don't want to go into any details about this amazing graphic novel without getting to the spoiler. But it is about Tom Taylor who's fathers is an author that has written a book series like Harry Potter esque, with his son's name in it. The fans actually believe Tom is the actual real fictional character Tommy from his father fantasy books, and Tom just wants too live outside from the spotlight and live a normal life. Without fans hounding him about if he is truly the real Tommy in the books and what happened to his father, who mysteriously disappeared almost a year ago. Now Tom goes through a lot of crazy stuff in this book, that I don't want to say because spoiler. But the stuff he goes through changes his life upside down for the worst though. Especially after that insane cliffhanger ending. I am going to leave it off here because I don't want to say too much, but my favorite part of this book was the art style. The art was absolutely amazing and stunning at the same time that I can't wait too read the next volume next! The story was different and refreshing that I never read a graphic novel quite like this one before, that I was on pins and needles while reading it. All and all I absolutely love and enjoy everything about the Unwritten series, that I can't wait to continue reading the next book The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man soon! ( )
  KatiriaR | Mar 2, 2018 |
Steve loved this, read the whole series (only 5 so far). I enjoyed it, may read more, but have other things to do. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
A surprising blend of Jasper Fforde, Bill Willingham and JK Rowling. A high concept comic that I look forward to reading more of. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
This was an incredibly creative and unique graphic novel. The tone of it reminds a lot of Willingham’s Fables series. This is all about a story within a story and fictional stories suddenly having pull in the real world.

The characters were well done and interesting. The illustration (while not my favorite color pallette) was detailed and fairly easy to follow. Illustration is very similar in style to the Fables series as well.

At times this story wasn’t the easiest to follow. It jumps around a bit and there are many layers to the story. As a result this is a story that you really have to pay attention to and concentrate on to follow. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, it makes for a very intriguing and creative read.

Overall I really found this to be an interesting read and was impressed at the depth of the characters and the breadth of the story. I plan on continuing with the series because I am curious to see where this whole thing goes…. I would recommend to those who are into the whole “stories leaking into real life” type of story. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 16, 2016 |
Unwritten manages to tell a fast-paced supernatural horror story while musing philosophically on the role of narrative in our lives and nations. It makes for engrossing and exciting reading, and I'll certainly be on the lookout for the next collection.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 14, 2010)

Mike Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gross, PeterIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chuckry, ChrisColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGee, JeanneColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willingham, BillIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peter stared in awe at the Gossamoks' bodies, lying around the ancient stone altar in twisted heaps.

"The boy who lived" may

be in a story that is

not his to control.

(legallypuzzled)

"Tom Taylor's life was screwed from the word go. His father created the mega-popular Tommy Taylor boy-wizard fantasy novels. But dad modeled the fictional epic so closely to Tom that fans constantly compare him to his counterpart, turning him into a lame, Z-level celebrity. When a scandal hints that Tom might really be the boy-wizard made flesh, Tom comes into contact with a mysterious, deadly group that's secretly kept tabs on him all his life. Now, to protect his life and discover the truth behind his origins, Tom will travel the world, to all the places in world history where fictions have shaped reality" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible