Time of my Life (French Edition) by Patrick…

Time of my Life (French Edition) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Patrick Swayze

In vivid detail, the thirty-year veteran of stage and screen describes his Texas upbringing, his personal struggles, his rise to fame with North and South, his commercial breakthroughs in "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost," and the soul mate who's stood by his side through it all: his wife, writer and director Lisa Niemi.… (more)
Member:shaitay
Title:Time of my Life (French Edition)
Authors:Patrick Swayze
Info:

The Time of My Life by Patrick Swayze (2009)

Like many females, I had a crush on Patrick Swayze resulting from the movie "Dirty Dancing".

I knew he'd been a dancer but I didn't realize how much dancing he'd done before his movie career. I was surprised to read that he'd done so well in the ballet world. I also knew his wife was a dancer but didn't realize the extent of her career in it either. I was surprised to read that both of them smoked. I wouldn't have thought dancers would be smokers--and it turned out the smoking caused problems in their airplane too as well as making it more likely that he would get hypoxic while piloting.

I also didn't realize Patrick had done gymnastics (also doing quite well at it) and diving and football. I didn't realize he had knee issues stemming from football that recurred throughout his professional career. Or that he drank so much.

By the time he passed away, Patrick and Lisa had been married at least 34 years. These days, I almost feel like long marriages do not happen in Hollywood, so I applaud them for staying together that long. They are honest that there were rough spots in their marriage that they had to work through, but they did work through them.

I was also disappointed that he chose Buddhism. I can't really fault him for moving away from Catholicism--I too have issues with aspects of Catholicism--but if nothing else, growing up Catholic should have exposed him to the truth--something he later chose to reject. It made it hard to read about him wondering about Heaven knowing that. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Mar 27, 2019 |
I really liked reading this book. I've been a huge fan of patrick swayze as long as I can remember. I found out many things I didn't know about him and his life. He talks about his experiences during certain key movies and life experiences. He writes really well and I think every Patrick Swayze fan should read it. I love how honest he is - even about his bad choices and mistakes. It's a quick read and I found it to be very interesting. Part of me wishes the story continues beyond where it really ends, but I think it would break my heart even more. Great guy, great book if you liked him. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
What an amazing story! Mr. Swayze takes us on a journey of his life from growing up to getting pancreatic cancer. It's very interesting the types of careers he did before acting. A lot of behind the scenes information I did not know about with some of the movies he made. Very very sad at the end knowing he wrote this book the same year he died of pancreatic cancer. I did tear up at the end because he was talking about beating the cancer and everything he wanted to accomplish in the future. He was a brave man who wouldn't take no for an answer and lived life to the fullest. Yes he had his demons (we all do) and I'm glad to have read about them and how he coped/dealed with them. RIP Patrick Swayze. Highly recommended read. ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 5, 2017 |
If you can find the audiobook version of this, I highly suggest getting a copy.

I grew up watching Swayze on screen, and felt a tug at my heart when I heard of the cancer. His situation really hit home for me as pictures of him near the end surfaced - having lost my own father to cancer, the similarities in their physical appearances stunned me. I knew reading the book alone wouldn't be enough for me, and waited until I was able to indulge in the audio version.

I am glad I did! His personality is now preserved within this book, and I was able to laugh along with him & his memorable stories as I would an old friend. Every little chuckle brought a smile to my face, and hearing through his own easy drawl, the journey of the ups, downs, struggles, and accomplishments - gives me a whole new respect for Patrick Swayze. I predict I will be listening to this edition many times over throughout the years.
  FennecGirl | Aug 7, 2017 |
rabck from MyssCyn; Patrick did a lot that I had no idea about. He played football, almost made the Olympic team until a knee injury forced him to stop, and was a ballet dancer. I don't agree with his downplaying injuries, and thereby making things worse, nor his self destructive drinking. But, he did provide a good glimpse into his life and the different things he and Lisa did. ( )
  nancynova | Oct 1, 2016 |

Patrick Swayzeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Niemi, Lisamain authorall editionsconfirmed
From Patrick: For my dad, Jesse "Big Buddy" Swayze, who taught me that a real man can be tough and gentle at the same time. From Lisa: For Patrick, who is more like his dad than he knows.
In late December 2007, life was looking pretty good.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,867,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible