Hacking Timbuktu

by Stephen Davies

London sixteen-year-old Danny Temple and friend Omar use their computer and parkour skills to elude pursuers as they follow clues in an Arabic manuscript to the mysterious cliffs of Bandiagara in sub-Saharan Africa seeking an ancient treasure.

Fun, fast, read about computer geeks with a non-geeky recreational outlet, and a little cultural/current history thrown into the mix.

Why I liked it: learning about parkour, something not easily done, or seen, in my small, rural hometown, added a totally new element to this book. The way the action of characters is described made me feel like I was doing the moves myself. Danny, the computer savvy main character, who gets caught in a web of treasure hunting maniacs, and Omar, his best friend, who seems to be just along for the ride, feel like teenagers I have met and taught in class.

Who I’d recommend it to: Fans of Daemon, the adult computer conspriacy book by Daniel Suarez and some of the skater boys at my high school. I’m buying it for Thomas and Brady because they will both get it.
[b:Daemon|4699575|Daemon (Daemon, #1)|Daniel Suarez|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255801429s/4699575.jpg|4763873]

format from Unshelved. ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
This was a reread of a book I adore. I read it before it was published and then again in hardback. I like the way Davies creates his characters and the fact that he can write action in a believable way. Sometimes the plot might seem a bit far fetched (boys who do parkour and hack), but at the same time, Davies manages to make Omar and Daniel realistic characters in the context of the story. I really hope someone decides to make a movie of this book, because I want to see it. ( )
  callmecayce | Feb 15, 2012 |
This book is one of my favourite. It's about a boy named Danny and his friend Omar, who found a map to hidden treasure is Timbuktu. They go on crazy adventures, e.g getting chased by The Knights Of Akimino. This is a must read book. I highly recommand this book and even people who don't like to read will enjoy it. ( )
  Ruhai.L | Nov 29, 2010 |
Though slightly convoluted at the beginning, the book turned out to be a lot of fun. The book follows two British boys who get entangled in a search for a treasure that might not even exist. One of the best parts of this novel was the references to and descriptions of parkour, something that both Daniel and Omar (the main characters) did, for pleasure and later out of necessity. Davies seamlessly melded the worlds of computer hacking, high school, and parkour into a surprisingly fun and clever novel. ( )
  callmecayce | Nov 4, 2010 |
Interesting combination of a 14th century mystery and a present day treasure hunt to find the loot. 700 years ago Akonio Dolo, a member of the Dogon tribe in Mali was studying in Timbuktu when he decided to tunnel into the back of the Sheikh's vault and steal as much gold as he can. He is discovered after succeeding in removing a large quantity of gold and is chased to the top of a mosque tower. Before he throws himself to his death, he leaves a riddle saying that the location of the treasure can be found in his manuscripts. Fast forward to present day where the manuscript is discovered by a greedy scholar Moktar while being scanned into a computer. Moktar flees with the manuscript ( containing a magic square - like Suduko where all the lines of numbers add up to the same number) after deleting the scanned copy. Enter Danny Temple, one of the best teenage hackers in London and an exponent of parkour (the arial gymnastics seen in Madonna videos where boys launch themselves from stairs and the roofs of buildings to short cut across the city.) When Danny gets home from a hacker conference, he discovers that a Facebook group calling themselves the Knights of Akonio Dolo want to "hire" his services to retrieve the deleted scan of the treasure map so they can locate his lost treasure. And so begins an amazing journey for Danny and his french speaking pakour extraordinaire mate Omar as they are pursued by the KOAD from London to Mali in an effort to find the treasure. Loved the action and the only criticism I have is that there is no glossary to explain what a Dogon, Nommo, etc is
  nicsreads | Jun 13, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,521,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible