Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and…

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know (edition 2010)

by Alexandra Horowitz

What do dogs know? How do they think? The answers will surprise and delight you as Alexandra Horowitz, a cognitive scientist, explains how dogs perceive their daily worlds, each other, and that other quirky animal, the human.
Member:bartastor
Title:Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know
Authors:Alexandra Horowitz
Info:Scribner (2010), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz

I slowly fell in love with Pumpernickel, which is the authors point, most subtly made, that dogs enter into our lives and that maybe we can return that love just a little more dog-centrism than we do. ( )
  nancymaguire | Jul 10, 2021 |
Animal psychologist Horowitz, who specializes in dog cognition, explains dog behavior for lay readers. After reading this book, I have a better understanding of my dog, the bond we share, and how my dog’s experience of the world differs from mine. I wish I had known about this book when I adopted my dog nearly 8 years ago. I think it would have made the adjustment period easier for both of us. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 1, 2021 |
A fascinating and beautiful look at what we can infer about the inner lives of our dogs. I love that the author leans on scientific studies for the information but is willing to provide some commentary and interpretation of her own to fill out the places the available science doesn't take us. This isn't really a practical guide to dog training—look elsewhere if that's what you want. But it's a great read for anyone who wants a better idea of how our dog friends see the world, how they see us, what they understand, and what they feel. ( )
  iangreenleaf | Jan 26, 2021 |
What is it like to be a dog? Horowitz attempts to answer this question by calling on science. She explains how a dog smells, sees, hears, and even responds to emotions.

She follows the breeding path from wolf to dog and rejects the notion that a dog is at heart still a wolf, a "pack animal", and that it must be forced to be submissive to behave correctly. Dogs can be bred with wolves and share close genetics with them but the two are clearly different animals. Dogs were bred to be with humans, and it is this trait that spells the primary difference between dogs and wolves - and in fact between dogs and any other animals, really.

Throughout this well-written book, Horowitz inserts short paragraphs from notes she took while enjoying her own dogs, especially Pump, to illustrate certain points. The notes also serve to remind us that the dog is not a dog without a human.

One of the points Horowitz makes that had not occurred to me is that dogs and humans tend to operate at the same "speed". They walk well together, they tune in to each other at the same rate, they sleep when we sleep. Because of their physiological characteristics, dogs are actually just a little "ahead" of us, thus the amazing way they can grab a frisbee from the air, for example. But it is just a little, and only serves to increase our admiration.

It isn't a training manual but a human companion training a dog might find this book useful for its insight into how the dog thinks, sees, hears, insofar as it is possible to explain and to know these things. For anyone, the book can increase understanding and appreciation. Beyond that, it is enjoyable to read. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
I love my dogs more than anything on this planet and I’d love to no more about their interior world, but this read is just too laborious for what I’m wanting. ( )
  britabee | Jun 3, 2020 |
“Though they have inherited some aversion to staring too long at eyes, dogs seem to be predisposed to inspect our faces for information, for reassurance, for guidance.” They are staring, soulfully, into our umwelts. It seems only right that we try a little harder to reciprocate, and Horowitz’s book is a good step in that direction. But she can be a bit coy and overly stylish in her attempt not to sound too scientific, and to the particular choir to which she is preaching, much of her material will be familiar.

In that same vein, the tone of the book is sometimes baffling — an almost polemical insistence on the value of dogs, as if they’d long been neglected by world opinion. But then Horowitz will drop in some lovely observation, some unlikely study, some odd detail that causes one’s dog-loving heart to flutter with astonishment and gratitude.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
—Attributed to Groucho Marx
To the dogs
First you see the head.

Alexandra Horowitz, a cognitive scientist, explains how dogs view and interact with the world.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,267,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible