dismiss

My Double Life by Janette Rallison

My Double Life (edition 2010)

by Janette Rallison (Author), C.J. Hill (Editor)

When eighteen-year-old Lexi of Morgantown, West Virginia, becomes the body double of a famous pop star, she discovers that the girl she is replacing is actually her half-sister, and that their father is a famous rock star.
Member:soraki
Title:My Double Life
Authors:Janette Rallison (Author)
Other authors:C.J. Hill (Editor)
Info:Janette Rallison and C.J. Hill (2013), 274 pages
Tags:disguised identity, Los Angeles, romance, imposters

My Double Life by Janette Rallison

Alexia takes a job as a body double for pop star Kari Kingsley for a few months in Los Angeles. She doesn't care about the money but she wants a chance to see the father that she's never met before.

But Alexia's secrets get in the way when she falls for rock star Grant Delray, who believes that she is Kari. ( )
  soraki | Jun 30, 2020 |
3.8 ( )
  pahel | May 10, 2013 |
Janette Rallison crafts her stories with contemporary issues and real to life characters. This is an excellent read. ( )
  musicnurse | Jan 9, 2011 |
Alexia is on of those heroines that you like but won't remember much after long. Actually, that goes for the secondary characters as well. I did enjoy reading her story though. It was endearing and I'm happy about how everything ended up for her. ( )
  Jac8604 | Jun 24, 2010 |
Alexia Garcia is a doppelganger for pop sensation Kari Kingsley, so when a rival at her West Virginia high school posts a picture mocking her online, Kari’s manager calls her with a job offer: move to California and work as Kari’s double.

With her previous book, MY FAIR GODMOTHER, Rallison won me over with her witty dialogue and inventive scene-building - on a fantasy stage no less. This time, Rallison lends her unique voice to a well-tread modern fairy-tale to spin a light, engaging confection with just the right amount of sweetness.

Alexia has her fair share of family drama. Her mother works long hours as a maid to afford their run-down house and their thrift-store wardrobes. She’s never revealed who Alexia’s father is, but when Alexia finds out from another source, it spurs her to accept the job offer as Kari’s double.

Once she’s in Hollywood, Alexia has to work hard to be a convincing double, studying both Kari’s life and her concert performance techniques. It’s her job to make people believe she is Kari, and she’s so successful, she even attracts the attention of rock star Grant Delray. But can Grant ever like Alexia for who she really is? Or is he only attracted to the famous “Kari” image?

Alexia is a very down-to-earth character who not only manages to stay true to herself, but also brings out the best in others. It might not be the most plausible of stories, but it’s the type of modern wish fulfillment that pop culture loving teens will savor to the last page. ( )
1 vote lenoreva | Jun 12, 2010 |
I woke up early the next morning thanks to a phone call from Abuela. She either didn't get the whole concept of the three-hour time difference or she didn't care.
There was one awkward moment while Nikolay escorted me to the door. I worried that it would be locked and then I'd have to make up some excuse about losing my keys, which would cause Nikolay to walk around the house checking for open windows. My mind was already racing ahead to the moment that Kari called the police to report burglars, and the scene down at the station when the police - and then the media - realized I'd been at a club opening impersonating Kari Kingsley.
My breath caught in my throat. If the paparazzi found out that I - that Kari - was seeing Grant when she was supposed to be dating Michael, my face really could be plastered on magazine covers around the country. And if that happened, would people who knew Kari be able to tell that I was an imposter?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,866,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible