The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other…

The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies

by John Langan

Other authors: Santiago Caruso (Cover artist)

Apparently John Langan is not an author for me. A few years back I read his novel House of Windows and was bored to tears, but when I came across the fabulous "Technicolor" in a Year's Best collection, I thought that maybe he was a better short story writer than novelist. (Many authors are.) I was wrong. Most of the stories here are in the same tiresome, rambling style that made his novel such a chore. They don't even have any payoff at the end that makes you feel that it was kind of worth persevering. Except for "Technicolor", which is a real gem. Written for a Poe-inspired anthology, it takes the form of a professor lecturing to a class of students about "The Masque of the Red Death." He ties Poe's story in with a historical figure in an engrossing narrative, while vaguely sinister things are occurring in the background... it all builds to a very satisfying conclusion. But if you want to read it, you're better off picking up [b:The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two|6943915|The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two|Ellen Datlow|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1391343242s/6943915.jpg|7177276], which has some other very good stories in it, unlike this collection. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
I picked up this book on a recommendation from some place or another - it was billed as a new style of horror, that puts humanity at the base of each story and a different take on traditional horror themes.

I found most of the stories overlong. A few standout stories, The Wide Carnivorous Sky being the best. This is the only story that I found truly scary.

The last thing - this book is full of typos, including repeated sentences. I found it incredibly distracting, and I don't normally notice typos. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 21, 2017 |
weird fiction
  drokk | Apr 8, 2017 |
How to kill a vampire? ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 21, 2013 |

John Langanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caruso, SantiagoCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"I want to be like John Langan when I grow up, okay? He blends meticulously crafted traditional narratives with joyous genre-bending and narrative rule-breaking. His stories are fiercely smart, timely, timeless, heartbreaking, and of course, flat-out scary. Langan fearlessly commits to his monsters, his characters, his readers, to his vision of the horror story and the messed-up, broken, frightening world we inhabit. Wide, Carnivorous Sky, indeed."-Paul Tremblay, author of The Little Sleep and Swallowing a Donkey's Eye. John Langan has, in the last few years, established himself as one of the leading voices in contemporary horror literature. Gifted with a supple and mellifluous prose style, an imagination that can conjure up clutching terrors with seeming effortlessness, and a thorough knowledge of the rich heritage of weird fiction, Langan has already garnered his share of accolades. This new collection of nine substantial stories includes such masterworks as "Technicolor," an ingenious riff on Poe's "Masque of the Red Death"; "How the Day Runs Down," a gripping tale of the undead; and "The Shallows," a powerful tale of the Cthulhu Mythos. The capstone to the collection is a previously unpublished novella of supernatural terror, "Mother of Stone." With an introduction by Jeffrey Ford and an afterword by Laird Barron.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,091,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible