The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron

The Poacher's Son

by Paul Doiron

Great first book from author Paul Doiron! Mike Bowditch, a Maine game warden, has his life torn apart when his estranged father is accused of murder. Mike puts his relationships and his job on the line to try and help clear his father - who has been on the run since escaping from the cops right after the murders took place.
This book was extremely well written and literally left you guessing to the very end! Very Good Read!!
  Master275 | Oct 30, 2018 |
This was only OK. Slow to develop and more drawn out than I'd have liked.

Mike is a compelling character but I don't know if this was good enough to give the second book a try... ( )
  plunkinberry | Feb 2, 2018 |
Mike Bowditch is a game warden in Maine. His father was a poacher and a bad tempered drunk Mike hasn't seen much of since he was 16 and spent a summer with his father working. Now a big company is coming in and buying up land and plans to basically evict a lot of people who have leases and have lived in the woods all their lives. After a public meeting during which a lot of people got very angry a company executive and a sheriff deputy assigned to drive him away from the meeting are killed in an ambush and Mike's father, Jack, is the suspect. Jack could easily evade capture in the woods. Mike thinks his father is being framed and puts his whole life at risk. HIs girlfriend leaves him and his job is on the line. I didn't particularly like this. I listened to it and maybe I just didn't care for the reader but it struck me as stiff and simple. I haven't finished it yet, but am on the last disc. I don't anticipate reading more in this series. I wanted to like it, but didn't.
  taurus27 | Sep 4, 2017 |
This was an okay book for the most part but had several flaws. The characterization was a bit weak. I felt I got to know Mike a little bit but most of what I knew didn't make sense. He made bad decisions for absolutely no reason. He gave up his marriage for a career as a game warden, then made the decision to throw his career away without any effort at all. Like I said, didnt' make sense to me. Initially I thought this was going to be a pretty good book about the often complicated relationship that exists between fathers and sons. And about a son proving himself to his father. That hope eventually dwindled. The ending left me flabergasted -- although it had suprise on its side, it wasn't necessarily a welcome one. I do think Doiron has talent, and hope to see better from him in the future. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Game warden Mike Bowditch returns home one evening to find an alarming voice from the past on his answering machine: it belongs to his father, Jack, a hard-drinking womanizer who makes his living poaching illegal game. An even more frightening call comes the next morning from the police. They are searching for the man who killed a beloved local cop the night before - and his father is their prime suspect. Jack has escaped from police custody, and only Mike believes that his tormented father might not be guilty. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 19, 2017 |
When I was nine years old, my father took me deep into the Maine woods to see an old prisoner of war camp. (Prologue)
A black bear had gotten into a pigpen out on the Beechwood Road, and it had run off with a pig.

Set in the wilds of Maine, this is an explosive tale of an estranged son thrust into the hunt for a murderous fugitive—his own father

Game warden Mike Bowditch returns home one evening to find an alarming voice from the past on his answering machine: his father Jack, a hard drinking womanizer who makes his living illegally poaching game. An even more frightening call comes the next morning from the police: They are searching for the man who killed a beloved local cop the night before—and his father is their prime suspect. Jack has escaped from police custody, and only Mike believes that his tormented father might not be guilty.

Now, alienated from the woman he loves, shunned by colleagues who have no sympathy for the suspected cop-killer, Mike must come to terms with his haunted past. He knows firsthand Jack’s brutality, but is the man capable of murder? Desperate and alone, he strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer—which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.

Desperate and alone, game warden Mike Bowditch strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive--Mike's father. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer--which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul Doiron's book The Poacher's Son was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,784,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible