Aunt Dimity Digs In by Nancy Atherton

Aunt Dimity Digs In (1998)

by Nancy Atherton

Series: Aunt Dimity (4)

I haven't read many Aunt Dimity mysteries. They are a bit cute, a lot prosaic and a touch dull. This is a series that reminds me of a grown up Nancy Drew mystery. No deaths, no violence and just a calm little everyday village mystery to solve. Lori Shepherd is a new mother of twins and she lives in the deceased Aunt Dimity's collage outside the English village of Finch. Lori has run herself ragged trying to be the perfect textbook mother to her twin boys. She is at her wits end and in need of help. She is rescued by Francesca Schiaparelli, a perfect nanny. Nothing much happens in Finch, until Peggy Kitchen, owner of the local Emporium goes on the rampage. She is planning a Harvest Festival and requires the use of the old schoolhouse. However, the local Vicar has loaned it to an archaeologist who is working on a local dig of ancient artifacts. Rumor is that he won't be gone in time for the festival. There is a theft of an old pamphlet from the vicar's home. A ghostly monk is scaring the locals and there may even be sightings of aliens from outer space. Lori and Aunt Dimity, ghostly communicating via an old blue journal, have to straighten out the gossip and rumors which are threatening the peace of the village of Finch. It was a cute albeit a bit dull story. Not enough action for my taste. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Apr 3, 2017 |
Compared to the last Aunt Dimity I read, this wasn't was interesting. In fact, I found it to be rather boring and lacking a storyline.

Lori & sons are whisked away in a helicopter to a remote Scottish Isle as a form of protection...her husband a high placed powerful attorney has been receiving death threats and the stalker is too close to home.

I will try another in the series...... But What is With Reg, the Stuffed Pink Bunny? ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Another in the Aunt Dimity series. Yes, it is formulaic; but, still, it is enchanting. A possible archaeological dig is in the offering which isn't welcome by some of the local villagers. Our heroine Lori Shepherd, a new mother of twins, is once again called upon to help settle the local war with the help of her ghostly helpmate Aunt Dimity. ( )
  kp9949 | Apr 14, 2015 |
Pleasant non-murder mystery with a touch of paranormal thrown in (Aunt Dimity is a ghost, for those of you who are unfamiliar with this series).

I liked the way the story of the WW2 evacuees was woven into the tale. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 25, 2014 |
I really enjoy the lack of dead people in this series. The mysteries are either centuries old, or modern problems that can be sussed out and eventually resolved. Lots of drama, but in a low key small village way. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

Nancy Athertonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harte, MeredithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lofaro, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Naegele, ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had two infants at home and I was drinking heavily: two pots of tea before noon and another pot before nap time.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014027569X, Mass Market Paperback)

The latest in this enchanting and fast-selling series, featuring the beloved ghost Aunt Dimity, opens in a picturesque English cottage where the lovable Lori Shepherd is up to her elbows in pureed carrots and formula bottles, striving to be the perfect mother to twins! Luckily, a beautiful Italian nanny arrives just in time?so Lori can help settle the local civil war stirred up by a visiting archaeologist's excavation.

With Reginald, the stuffed pink rabbit and Edmond Terrance, the stuffed tiger in tow, Lori hunts down a missing document, and the archaeologist digs up a lot more than artifacts. It is Aunt Dimity's magic blue notebook that provides the key to buried secrets and domestic malice, and shows all the residents of Finch that even the darkest acts can be overcome by forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:10 -0400)

Lori Shepherd, freed from the restrictions of motherhood by the arrival of the beautiful nanny Francesca Sciaparelli, must call upon her ghostly Aunt Dimity for help when she becomes caught in the middle of a controversy that threatens to destroy the village as well as her nanny's budding romance with archaeologist Adrian Culver.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,980,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible