Aunt Dimity's Death

by Nancy Atherton

Series: Aunt Dimity (1), Tante Dimity (1)

Fiction. Mystery. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:The debut that kicked off twenty-two books (and counting...) of the bestselling, beloved Aunt Dimity series. Watch out for Nancy Atherton's latest, Aunt Dimity and the King's Ransom, coming in July 2018 from Viking!
/> Lori Shepherd thought Aunt Dimity was just a character in a bedtime story...
...Until the Dickensian law firm of Willis & Willis summons her to a reading of the woman's will. Down-on-her-luck Lori learns she's about to inherit a siazable estateâ??if she can discover the secret hidden in a treasure trove of letters in Dimity's English country cottage. What begins as a fairy tale becomes a mysteryâ??and a ghost storyâ??in an improbably cozy setting, as Aunt Dimity's indominable spirit leads Lori on an otherworldly quest to discover how, in this life, true love can con… (more)

Cozy with paranormal touch. ( )
  Abcdarian | May 18, 2024 |
it was labelled as a mystery but seemed to be more of a romance/fairytale to me. A bit too much in the cosy line for my taste ( )
  cspiwak | Mar 6, 2024 |
Sweet and amusing. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 2, 2024 |
Did your parent, grandparent, or an imaginative older sibling or babysitter tell you stories about a character they invented just for your amusement?

Imagine your shock, and maybe fear, if long after your trusted storyteller’s death, a stranger were to contact you out of nowhere to discuss the character whose exploits were whispered to you, and only you, as you lay safe in your bed.

This is exactly what happened to Lori Shepherd in this first installment of the Aunt Dimity Mysteries. It’s an original and striking concept, and I looked forward to a cozy read that was equally enthralling right up to the end. I anticipated more revelations as the gift of Aunt Dimity was slowly unwrapped.

Instead of a slow reveal though, the wrapping paper is ripped off in one hasty gesture. Granted, there are more secrets to be discovered, but the mystery was over for me after that first big spoiler. (Because I want this review to be spoiler-free, I’m being purposely vague.) Still, the puzzle is complex and the prose style is tight, with flashes of humor. I enjoyed most of the book.

You might enjoy it too, especially if you happen to be a fan of Barbara Michaels’ mid-century gothic mystery/horror novels. The main characters are so similar to Michaels’ heroines and love interests that if I didn’t know better I’d think she wrote the book. ( )
  CatherineB61 | May 31, 2023 |
In the midst of radiation therapy, I needed a book that was an easy read, that was soothing, that was kind. I thought Aunt Dimity's Death might well suit. This mystery was perfect, a cup of hot tea on a rainy day. As a bonus, the ruminations on life and grief were perfect three months after I lost my mother, my best friend.

The book was a gentle look at longstanding friendship and newfound friends. The mystery was secondary to the story of people in a new situation. Still, the author played fair with all the facts available to the reader as soon as they are to the characters. In short, this book was a balm to my mind.

Highly recommended for fans of cozy mysteries. I've already gotten the next book in the series. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Mar 22, 2022 |

Nancy Athertonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harte, MeredithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lofaro, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Naegele, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Handsome Prince
When I learned of Aunt Dimity's death, I was stunned.

Lori Shepherd thought Aunt Dimity was just a character in a bedtime story...

Atherton's first mystery combines a strong sense of traditional English fare with an insistent gothic spirit. Suffering from her recent divorce, her mother's death, and an erratic income, Lori Shepherd receives notice from a prestigious Boston law firm that she must travel to England in order to meet the requirements of a will. While visiting her benefactor's "haunted" cottage with lawyer friend Bill, she uncovers important clues relating to a World War II mystery.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,022,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible