Aunt Dimity's Death

by Nancy Atherton

Series: Aunt Dimity (1)

Lori thought Aunt Dimity was just a character in a family bedtime story until a law firm summoned her to a reading of her relative's last will and testament. Lori will inherit a sizable estate--if she can discover the secret hidden in a treasure trove of letters tucked away at Dimity's English country cottage.… (more)

Aunt Dimity is a lovable character in several different ways, in ways that are unexpected. A law firm that seems to be a throwback to another era, a young woman who needs some changes in her life, a quiet nerdy sort of guy, and a delightful English cottage. I like the supernatural twist, which makes this a quirky, sweet book. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Nov 23, 2020 |
Aunt Dimity's Death
Author: Nancy Atherton
Kindle Version

I have always wanted to read this series, but never started. Basically, I am a completist. Once I start a series, I have to finish it. The Aunt Dimity series has 21 books, and I just didn't want to start that monumental of a project. The other day I logged onto my local library's website, and book one: Aunt Dimity's Death, was at the top of my recommended reading list. I finally decided what the heck and downloaded the ebook. Why not?? Reading book 1 doesn't obligate me to read the other 20 books!

Unless I like it.

Uh oh.

I liked it. :)

The plot is basic and sweet. Lori Shepherd grows up hearing bedtime stories about the adventures of Aunt Dimity. The stories are charming and fantastical and Aunt Dimity always comes out on top at the end. Soon after her mother dies, Lori finds out that Aunt Dimity was actually a real person and a close friend of her mother's for decades.

Suddenly Lori is mixed up in a mystery of sorts. She must solve a puzzle left behind by Dimity after her death. She is whisked away to England to stay in Dimity's cottage, sorting through old letters and photographs. She has only a few weeks to solve a mystery and discover the truth about Dimity and her mother. Along the way she learns a lot about life and herself as well.

This is the first cozy mystery novel I have read that didn't involve a murder. It was a nice change of pace. It has a bit of everything....fairy tale, ghosts, love interest, mystery. It's definitely a feel-good read. The story is simple but incredibly charming. The book was a pleasant afternoon read. Nothing heavy, and enough of a mystery to keep me interested for a few hours while it snowed outside.

Only 20 novels to go! :)

My rating: 7/10
Ages 10 ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
This book read like a fairy tale. I was hooked from the very first paragraphs. I love the concept and the way the author weaves the characters lives together. ( )
  BettinaMJohnson | Oct 11, 2020 |
Reread the first Aunt Dimity book and fell just as in love as the first time. This book is so sweet and warm...and so outside my usual horror reads. It is by far the coziest ghost story that I have ever read. ( )
  tattooedreader13 | Aug 27, 2020 |
Sweet, uneven, raggedy, mystery novel with ghost bits; its popularity is inexplicable to me. ( )
  dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |

Nancy Athertonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harte, MeredithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lofaro, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Naegele, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Handsome Prince
When I learned of Aunt Dimity's death, I was stunned.

Atherton's first mystery combines a strong sense of traditional English fare with an insistent gothic spirit. Suffering from her recent divorce, her mother's death, and an erratic income, Lori Shepherd receives notice from a prestigious Boston law firm that she must travel to England in order to meet the requirements of a will. While visiting her benefactor's "haunted" cottage with lawyer friend Bill, she uncovers important clues relating to a World War II mystery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,020,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible