A Secret Kept: A Novel by Tatiana de Rosnay

A Secret Kept: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Tatiana de Rosnay (Author)

Member:Tybeemiller
Title:A Secret Kept: A Novel
Authors:Tatiana de Rosnay (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay

English (64)  Dutch (6)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (73)
A brother takes his sister on a surprise trip to Noirmoutier Island. As children they spent summers there on the beach with their family. Their mother died of an aneurysm when they were young children and their memories of her are rather vague. The trip recaptures forgotten memories of their time on the island and of their mother. That memory leads them to discover their mother's secret life before she died.
The book had a somewhat interesting plot but was not by any means a page turner. Rather than the focus being on the mother's secret, I felt like the book was a character study of the narrator, Antoine, who seemed like a plodding, methodical man and that is exactly how the book flowed for me. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
This is another one of those books that I had sitting on my shelf for way too long. My boyfriend got it for me as a Valentine's day gift last year, so, almost a year. :S As I think I've already mentioned, I really enjoy catchy first lines. This book's first line, not so catchy

"I am shown into a small, drab room, and told to sit down and wait."

It doesn't jump out at me. But, I kept reading and I have to say, this is an absolutely amazing novel. Set in France, it starts out with a brother and sister, (Antoine and Melanie) taking a vacation for Melanie's birthday. They are driving back, when suddenly there is an accident. This accident causes the beginning of a new relationship for Antoine, the unveiling of long kept family secrets, and the small steps toward healing for Antoine and his own children.

Of all the characters, I enjoyed Margaux and Angele the most. Margaux is Antoine's daughter, and for much of the novel she is a silent, sullen, typical teenager. But throughout the novel she grows into a more thoughtful, mature young woman. She has to deal with a lot of life changing events in a short time, and for the most part, she handles them exceptionally well.

Angele is Antoine's new love interest. They meet at the hospital where Melanie has to stay for a few weeks after her accident. Angele is a mortician, who is good at what she does. She cares for her patients with a great deal of dignity and sensitivity. Despite her serious job, she has a good head on her shoulders. She is strong, sexy, confident, and has an ironic sense of humor.

There are a lot of little random personal connections, to friends and also to other books that jumped out at me while reading. Antoine's birthday is January 7th, which is the same date as my best friend's birthday.

Antoine and Melanie's mothers' name is Clarisse, and when I read that, Silence of the Lambs instantly jumped into my head even though I've never seen any of that franchise of movies.

Early on in the book, there is mention of a character being from Uppsala, which is located in Sweden. I just finished reading The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo a few weeks back, and there is mention of Uppsala in that novel as well.

The word "akimbo" is used by one of the characters (I forget which one) and that made me think back to the novel "Dirk Danger Loves Life" that I just finished a week ago. The main character in that novel, Cheeseball, uses the phrase often.

Aside from the various connections, this book is very emotionally gripping. It made me cry and gave me chills. It also has several twists and turns and the plot often keeps you guessing. There's even room for interpretation with one of the main events of the story. It does eventually get explained, but, the suspense that the open ended nature of that event is excellent.

Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
This story doesn’t come near the emotional impact of de Rosnay’s best-seller, Sarah’s Key. I probably should not have expected it, but I did. As a result, A Secret Kept suffers in comparison. I never cared about the secret because de Rosnay did not develop the character who died, nor did she develop her relationship with her children. A flashback structure telling today’s story as well as the past would have done wonders to the emotional impact. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
(like her other novel)
divorce searching for past of dead mother — resolving old + new relationships
secrets never mentioned / strict Paris (Rich) Family

It all began with a simple seaside vacation, a brother and sister recapturing their childhood. Antoine Rey thought he had the perfect surprise for his sister Mélanie's birthday: a weekend by the sea at Noirmoutier Island, where the pair spent many happy childhood summers playing on the beach. It had been too long, Antoine thought, since they'd returned to the island--over thirty years, since their mother died and the family holidays ceased. But the island's haunting beauty triggers more than happy memories; it reminds Mélanie of something unexpected and deeply disturbing about their last island summer. When, on the drive home to Paris, she finally summons the courage to reveal what she knows to Antoine, her emotions overcome her and she loses control of the car.
  christinejoseph | Jul 14, 2017 |
I don't really know how to describe this book. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read but after the amazing telling of Sarah's Key, I was disappointed. The characters were offbeat to the point of being rather unrelatable and the big secret wasn't really much of one. Ending was so unsatisfying... I wish the characters had more depth. ( )
  Hanneri | Jun 25, 2017 |

Tatiana de Rosnayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blom, Iris van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Pierrre-Emmanuel (1989-2006).
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. -- Henry Scott Holland
Manderley was no more. -- Daphne Du Maurier, Rebecca
This book is for Cecilia and Alexis, my wonderful sister and brother, and for Cedric and Caroline, their loved ones.
I am shown into a small drab room, told to sit down and wait.

It's been thirty years since Antonie's and Melanie's mother died. But when a visit to the sea at Noirmoutier Island triggers painful memories of their haunting childhood--and Melanie lies in the hospital recovering from a near fatal accident--Antoine must confront his past and also his troubled relationships with his own children.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tatiana de Rosnay's book A Secret Kept was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,895,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible