Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 05: Ghost Box

by Warren Ellis, Simone Bianchi (Illustrator)

Other authors: Kaare Andrews (Illustrator), Clayton Crain (Illustrator), Alan Davis (Illustrator), Adi Granov (Illustrator)

Series: Astonishing X-Men (Vol. 5, Issues #25-30 & Ghost Boxes #1-2)

The X-Men are back to business - with a new look, a new base of operations, and a mystery to solve that will take them into previously uncharted territory and test them to the core.

This book has excellent artwork, and the story line keeps up with that art as well. I found the story to be gripping and interesting. There are also a few alternate timeline type stories that are interesting here as well. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
Absolutely awful.
The drop in quality with this writer/artist combo was so dramatic I had to wonder if I dreamt the gloriousness that was the first 4 volumes of this series.
The writing was dry and boring. The only attempt at humour was jokes about the (kinky) sex the team were having. I couldn't tell if the story made sense because the writing was so bad. There was no explanation for events that ended in the last volume (Is anyone looking for Kitty? What happened to Peter? Where have the students gone? Why did they relocate to San Francisco?).
None of this banal storytelling was helped by the art/colours. The palette is dirge blue/brown/grey, making the figures impossible to distinguish from the background and leaving all action void of any impact, because you can't really see what's happening.
The only saving grace to this that it partially hides some of the worst line art I've seen in ages.
  Lillian_Francis | Feb 24, 2021 |
Favorite line, "Emma is that you? I didn't recognize you with your legs closed."

Loved everything about this, the art, the writing and especially the alternate reality stories that I'm assuming happened on "other Earths". This was dark and still occasionally humorous, just like I want my X-Men stories to be. ( )
  ragwaine | Jun 4, 2020 |
LOVED the alternate universe outcomes at the end of the book ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
I don't like the X-Men as killers. ( )
1 vote MikeRhode | Nov 12, 2014 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bianchi, SimoneIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, KaareIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crain, ClaytonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Granov, AdiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Astonishing X-Men (Vol. 5, Issues #25-30 & Ghost Boxes #1-2)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,708,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible