The Necromancer (Secrets of The Immortal…

The Necromancer (Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel) (edition 2011)

by Michael Scott (Author)

Back in London, fifteen-year-old twins Sophie and Josh Newman must determine whom they can and cannot trust as they search for both Scatty and an immortal who can teach Josh the magic of fire, while Doctor Dee and Machiavelli continue to seek power.
Member:greenteaholic
Title:The Necromancer (Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel)
Authors:Michael Scott (Author)
Info:Ember (2011), Edition: 1st, 403 pages

The Necromancer by Michael Scott

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: Another books that plays on the traditional stories of mythology. If you enjoyed one you will more than likely enjoy the other.

English (60)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (64)
This is the fourth book in Michael Scott's "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series. I continued to love these books. In this book, the Flamels, Sophie and Josh return to San Francisco. Scatty and Joan are still missing. Everybody is still planning for a big battle. These books are quick paced and hard to put down once you start reading them. Now that I've caught up on these books, I guess I have to wait for the next one to come out in May. At least I shouldn't have any problems coming up with something to read between now and then. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Better than The Sorceress imho ( )
  isabelgk | Jan 11, 2020 |
Dit is het deel waarin het moeilijker gaat worden voor de tweeling. Hun relatie/vriendschap wordt tot het uiterste getest. Ook dit deel gaat weer op dezelfde voet verder, monsters bevechten en vluchten, zeuren en dan weer monsters bevechten en vluchten. De slechteriken liegen, de naïeve jongen gelooft ze, veroorzaakt een puinhoop, waardoor er weer monsters zijn om tegen te vechten en te vluchten. ... Okay, misschien een beetje overdreven, maar hier komt het wel op neer.

Het begin van het boek is erg traag en behoorlijk saai, maar naarmate je dichter bij het einde komt, wordt het boek interessanter en sneller.

Josh en Sophie lijken nu meer op bijpersonen, Nicholas Flamel heeft nauwelijks regels in de roman (hij is stervende, maar hij is de naamgever van de serie), en de enige consistente personages in de serie vormen Dr. John Dee en Machiavelli, en hoewel zij tot de 'slechteriken' behoren, ben ik toch een redelijke fan van ze.

Tegen het einde van het boek komen er nieuwe problemen bij, zeker als Josh zich lijkt aan te sluiten bij de Duistere Ouderen.

Op naar boek 5. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
And yet again, I have to reiterate just how much this series ramps up with each subsequent novel. The first one was just okay, and now, we’re onto solid ground with a seriously just good, enjoyable book.

Things come to a head in this book and the twins each have to make their choices about where they stand and what to do next. I love how we’re getting more history about the Elders; I especially liked seeing some old memories of Prometheus and Zephaniah, the Witch of Endor. And we’re starting to see more stuff behind the scenes. It turns out, things are way more complicated than what they seem, and the history between the Elders and Dark Elders goes way further than what you’d think, which makes for some nice intrigue and suspense. I have my own theories about what’s going on, and that’s what makes this book fun. Not everything is revealed right away, and people’s motivations go deeper than you’d ever realize.

I do think the alternating viewpoints prevents us from getting a deep look at characters’ motivations, which makes them feel a bit static, but I also think that there are some plot reveals coming up that those deep looks would ruin, so it sort of makes sense for this series. I just wish the characters felt a bit more robust than they currently do. As it stands, I enjoy the characters and feel for them, but they’re fairly predictable. Maybe that will change in the final novels.

This is going to be a short review, because I don’t want to give too much away for those who haven’t read it, but all I can say is that it’s enjoyable and entertaining. The plots are finally starting to weave together, and I can’t wait to read the last two books–I’m sure they’re going to be amazing, with tons of reveals.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Jun 8, 2018 |
Ugh. I wish Josh's character weren't so predictable and had more nuance. His actions near the end of this book were annoying in the sense that the character is an annoying person, but in that the writer is just...clichéd. Also, the brief respite the twins attempted at their aunt's house was entirely pointless. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 11, 2018 |

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een magisch boek wordt gestolen.
De twee die één zijn zullen de wereld redden...
of vernietigen.
For Piers, Cura te ipsum
I am frightened.

San Francisco:

Josh and Sophie Newman are finally home.  And they're both more confused than ever about their future.  Neither of them has mastered the magics they'll need to protect themselves, they've lost Scatty, and they're still being pursued by Dr. John Dee.  Most disturbing of all, however, is that now they must ask themselves, can they trust Nicholas Flamel?  Can they trust anyone?

Alcatraz:

Dr. Dee underestimated Perenelle Flamel's power.  Alcatraz could not hold her, and she was able to align herself with the most unlikely of allies.  But she wasn't the only one being held on the island.  Behind the prison's bars and protective sigils were a menagerie of monsters, and now Machiavelli has come to Alcatraz to loose them on San Francisco.

Perenelle might be powerful, but each day she weakens, and even with Nicholas back at her side, a battle of this size could be too much for her.  Nicholas and Perenelle must fight to protect the city, but the effort will probably kill them both.

London:

Having failed to regain the final two pages of the Codex, Dee has failed his Elder and is now an outlaw.

But the Magician has a plan.  With the Codex and the creatures on Alcatraz, he can control the world.  All he needs is the help of the Archons.  But for his plan to work, he must raise the Mother of the Gods from the dead.  For that, he'll have to train a necromancer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible