Me, Myself and Ike by K. L. Denman

Me, Myself and Ike

by K. L. Denman

476349,657 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Me myself and Ike would make a valuable addition to any YA collection because of its sensitive portrayal of adolescent schizophrenia. Denman's decision to write in the first person has the double effect of creating a mystery story that the reader can eventually figure out, thus helping the reader experience the viewpoint of the book's schizophrenic narrator. The addition of an afterward with further information about the disease and suggested references is a valuable bonus. The novel is a good read on its own terms while also providing important educational information. ( )
  librorumamans | Oct 20, 2012 |
Kit is embarking on a life ending adventure. He has been inspired by a T.V. show on the Ice Man to make himself a human time-capsule. Kit is collecting all the things he deems worthy of a place in history. Only, his friend Ike is becoming increasing a contributor to the friendship. But this is no ordinary friendship, Ike is not ordinary friend, so who is Ike?
Written in the first person this is a fast paced novel about a teenage boy’s daily struggle with mental illness. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Kit. I found it an intriguing read and wanted to see where Kit’s story went. A good read that contains no sex or bad language. A must read for any teens with mental illness in their family or friends situation. ( )
  Bellydancer | May 24, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very interesting view into the life of Kit, a schizophrenic teen on a strange adventure. I thought it was a good, quick read, and would definitely be a good read for a young teen, figuring themselves out. ( )
  ninarucker | Feb 10, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Essentially a study of a schizophrenic teen who tells the story himself of how he plans to become another "time capsule" cave man, this novel is both too long and too short for its audience. The author's statement that she chose the disease appears to say that it sounded interesting, so she researched it and then wrote the book. Denman's writing is elegant, and she is quite skillful at telling how her main character feels and reacts. However, the ending was so abrupt that it seemed as if she did not know how to tell the story of the next step in this disease. I would read other works by this author, but this is not a book I would recommend as an "introduction" to schizophrenia for the teen audience to which it is being marketed. ( )
  Prop2gether | Jan 6, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At first, this book seems to be about two teenage boys embarking on one of the stupidest plans ever. Inspired by a documentary on the Ice Man, one has convinced the other to climb up into the Canadian Rockies and freeze himself, along with examples of modern technology and culture, as evidence for posterity. The book is largely taken up with Kit's preparations for doing so.

Fortunately, for both Kit and the reader, the book is really about much more than this moronic scheme. As we follow Kit through his preparations, we begin to see that perhaps all is not what it seems. Through his interactions with others, we learn that Kit used to be a good kid - he had friends, got along well with his family, did reasonably well in school. But a few months before the start of the action, everything changes. We get a sense of this only in the way that others react to Kit, but this is a startlingly effective method of portraying this change. Throughout the book, we also get a feel for what others noticed in Kit that caused them to change their perceptions, although, in a first-person narrative, the changes are only subtly observable to the reader. It isn't until almost the end of the book that we begin to understand what is really going on with Kit, and how dangerous it potentially is. ( )
  mzonderm | Dec 30, 2009 |
Completely riveting, suspenseful, and heartbreaking, Me, Myself and Ike is one of the best young adult releases of the year.

I am in you and you in me, mutual in divine love. -William Blake
For the moon and the meadow, with love.
The men are weary.

Seventeen-year-old Kit is paranoid, confused and alone, but neither he nor his family and friends understand what is happening to him.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

K. L. Denman's book Me, Myself and Ike was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

K. L. Denman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,971,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible