The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by…

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes (original 1976; edition 1976)

by Arthur Conan Doyle (Author), Sidney Edward Paget (Illustrator)

Series: Sherlock Holmes (Omnibus: 3-6)

Here are the original Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle as they first appeared in the famed British magazine The Strand. This periodical was the literary sensation of its time, especially with the publication of the novel The Hound of the Baskervilles (which appears in its entirety in this volume), when eager readers lined up outside the magazine's London offices, waiting for each installment as it came off press.This edition contains 37 short stories, reproduced in complete facsimile (published in individual volumes as "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes", and "The Return of Sherlock Holmes"), plus the complete novel The Hound of the Baskervilles. Today, the collection of the original issues of The Strand containing the Holmes stories is a rare collector's piece. It is brought to you now, complete and unabridged, comprising a total of well over 600 pages, providing the undying excitement and fascination of each and every Sherlock Holmes Adventure. The drawings of Sidney Paget illustrate the stories--illustrations as immortal as the stories themselves. Paget produced more than 350 Sherlock Holmes illustrations, and it was his depictions which gave Holmes visual reality for everyone, which projected him throughout the world, and which today still provide the mold of the original hero in production on stage, screen and television.… (more)
Member:hkaur1003
Title:The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes
Authors:Arthur Conan Doyle (Author)
Other authors:Sidney Edward Paget (Illustrator)
Info:Castle Books (2009), Edition: 1st, 636 pages

Work Information

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes / The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes / The Hound of the Baskervilles / The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (Author) (1976)

The Final Solution. A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Aged legendary detective becomes involved in a mystery related to the holocaust.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Compulsively objective investigator obsessed with reason.

4/6/22
  laplantelibrary | Apr 6, 2022 |
Absolutely lovely, as usual. I always have fun reading (re-reading, re-re-reading) Sherlock Holmes.
  Conni_W | Jul 7, 2021 |
Always a joy to pull this volume off the shelf and re-read one of the stories. ( )
  PJCWLibrary | Jan 9, 2019 |
I grew up loving Sherlock Holmes. I didn't get into him much until I discovered a book of Sherlock Holmes stories on my grandparents' bookshelves. I couldn't put the book down the whole visit and they let me take it with me. I read the stories cover-to-cover (though I've certainly not read all the stories Doyle ever wrote). I loved them and completely enjoyed Watson - he was my favorite (isn't he everyone's?). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
Sherlock Holmes with it's original illustrations. As it was meant to be read I believe. Watson is hot. Ha! ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |

Doyle, Arthur ConanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paget, SidneyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Sherlock Holmes (Omnibus: 3-6)

Contains

Has the adaptation

Here – reproduced in complete facsimile – are the original Sherlock Holmes detective stories by Arthur Conan Doyle as they first appeared in the famed British magazine "The Strand."
To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
I am fairly familiar with all forms of secret writing, and am myself the author of a trifling monograph upon the subject, in which I analyse one hundred and sixty separate ciphers. (The Adventure of the Dancing Men)
This work (The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes) contains The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Return of Sherlock Holmes (37 stories and 1 novel). Please do not combine with The Complete Sherlock Holmes which contains additional novels and short stories (56 stories and 4 novels in total).

A collection of 37 Sherlock Holmes short stories and the novel 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,190,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible