Dracula (Bantam Classics) by Bram Stoker

Dracula (Bantam Classics) (original 1897; edition 1983)

by Bram Stoker (Author)

28,31053577 (3.96)4 / 1698
Having deduced the double identity of Count Dracula, a wealthy Transylvanian nobleman, a small group of people vow to rid the world of the evil vampire.
Member:zorak_1996
Title:Dracula (Bantam Classics)
Authors:Bram Stoker (Author)
Info:Bantam Classics (1983), 448 pages

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203, Morteana)
    The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (HollyMS, HollyMS)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula: A Biography of Vlad the Impaler, 1431-1476 by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    Varney the Vampyre or The Feast of Blood by James Malcolm Rymer (Sylak)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)

1890s (20)
Europe (254)

English (502)  Spanish (10)  German (6)  French (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (535)
This novel is written in the epistolary form and it gives an air of mystery as you will have to glean information of the events from the character's POV and sometimes, it amplifies the level of horror as you feel as if you were witnessing the scene yourself. I've had some spine-chilling moments reading this novel but I couldn't make myself put the book down. :'(
The only problem I had with this book is that some characters tend to be rather long-winded and likes to ramble on. However, that makes the character seem real and makes me wonder if this is not a work of fiction sometimes. *shivers* ( )
  Ellimon | Aug 27, 2021 |
I really liked how much research Stoker put into this book. So much lore, vampire and otherwise is in this novel and it was really enjoyable. This was my first time reading the original Dracula story and I was surprised by how central Jonathan Harker was. Every spin-off, re-vamp, or retelling I've read made out Harker to be quite insignificant, sometimes even a measly assistant to Van Helsing. But Harker is the one who originally discovers Dracula and who tells a good half of the story. I also really liked how the story was told through a series of journal entries and letters rearranged into chronological order. It's not a common method of story telling and it's always an interesting and refreshing change. I also thought is was quite interesting how while the wooden stakes, garlic, crucifixes, wafers and holy water were in here Dracula could actually walk around during the day. I supposed light burning a Vampire was added into the lore in another book or movie. ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
Re-read. I probably listened to it for the first time 15 years ago. I was quite fond of the narrator. He is likely the narrator that sparked my love of audiobooks. Unfortunately that was pre-GRs for me (for everyone?) so I have no idea who he is. The cassette tapes I listened on are no longer available at the library so I can't retrace my steps and pay proper homage. I gave that reading a 5* and what I could remember I thought of fondly.

Upon re-read I do not love the story as much. I don't think it's this new narrator's fault though. I really struggled with the last quarter of the book. Van Helsing was so overly wordy and their insta love with each other was beyond annoying. Do they, mostly Van Helsing have to express it constantly?

The skeleton of the story is good but [there really isn't much that is scary. A lot of items take place off page or are breezed over. The Renfield life and death were lacking. How did Dracula get into Lucy's room? She had to invite him in but she was engaged. So does that mean she was fooling around on her fiancé or what? (hide spoiler)]

I find the fact that those are all journal entries a bit unbelievable especially the last quarter. Anyone who listened to Van Helsing talk and talk and talk would had to have written a summary, not verbatim what he said. I'm working on my own summarized version of the story. All the good bits without all the unnecessary bits (Van Helsing's constant flowery speech). Really just a timeline because I don't plan on reading the original again but want to make sure I know it.
------------------------------------------

I watched BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA while reading the book and have to say it's total BS that they put Bram Stoker's name on the movie. It led me to believe it would be the same story. It.is.not! The original is far from a romance. I enjoy the movie but don't appreciate the "bait and switch". Also that Renfield is mad and in the institution due to his solicitor visits with Dracula and that Jonathan Harker is his replacement solicitor because Renfield tapped out due to madness... NOT IN THE BOOK!
------------------------------------------

A brief but good Blog post 'Where did Bram Stoker write Dracula? A pictorial tour of the locations that inspired his novel and places where he set scenes.': https://www.ianjarviswriter.com/single-post/2016/10/07/LOCATION-COUNT
------------------

Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
I loved the themes within this story. Stoker could have done so much more with the brides (they were only in two scenes of the story). ( )
  connorshirs | Aug 11, 2021 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
Al leer estos papeles se verá claramente cómo han sido ordenados cronológicamente. Se ha eliminado todo lo superfluo con objeto de presentar esta historia -casi en contradicción con las posibilidades de creencia en nuestros días- como simples hechos. No se hace referencia alguna a sucesos del pasado sobre los que la memoria se puede equivocar, dado que todos los escritos seleccionados son rigurosamente contemporáneos de los hechos, y reflejan puntos de vista y experiencias de quienes los consignaron.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
A mi querido amigo Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
Diario de Jonathan Harker (Redactado taquigráficamente)
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue'.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgment, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgment or adaptation.

6305078181 is for the 1979 movie directed by John Badham.

Abridgement.
Abridged.

A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas: Contexts includes probable inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of James Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and "Dracula's Guest," the original opening chapter to Dracula. Reviews and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. "Dramatic and Film Variations" focuses on theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David J. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptations are included.

Criticism collects seven theoretical interpretations of Dracula by Phyllis A. Roth, Carol A. Senf, Franco Moretti, Christopher Craft, Bram Dijsktra, Stephen D. Arata, and Talia Schaffer.
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)
Dracula could teach
Edward not to sparkle so.
He hates those books too.
(hillaryrose7)

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

4 2027

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832521, 1907832653

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,222,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible