Dracula: Ein Vampyr-Roman (Fischer Klassik)…

Dracula: Ein Vampyr-Roman (Fischer Klassik) (original 1897; edition 2008)

by Bram Stoker (Author), Heinz Widtmann (Übersetzer)

30,30156578 (3.96)5 / 1725
Having deduced the double identity of Count Dracula, a wealthy Transylvanian nobleman, a small group of people vow to rid the world of the evil vampire.
Member:Finalmystic
Title:Dracula: Ein Vampyr-Roman (Fischer Klassik)
Authors:Bram Stoker (Author)
Other authors:Heinz Widtmann (Übersetzer)
Info:FISCHER Taschenbuch (2008), Edition: 6, 512 pages

Work Information

Dracula by Bram Stoker (Author) (1897)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203, Morteana)
    The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (HollyMS, HollyMS)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula: A Biography of Vlad the Impaler, 1431-1476 by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    Varney the Vampyre or The Feast of Blood by James Malcolm Rymer (Sylak)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)

Europe (69)
1890s (20)

English (520)  Spanish (13)  German (6)  French (5)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (559)
I wasn't expecting to like it this much actually. I was never a big fan of vampires.
The story is told by different characters and the count is almost never present even though everyone is talking about him or what he is doing, without knowing it.
I liked the first part of the book best to be honest. There were really scary parts when Jonathan Harker was in the castle trying to escape and I really felt his despair and horror.
The rest of the book was good too and had a few scary moments also. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
Dracula was a bit of a surprise to me. It seemed to have little in common with the old Bela Lugosi film that I remember (albeit not very vividly) from my childhood. I can see why it became a classic and endured over the years, it is sensational and mildly erotic.

Perhaps the greatest surprise is that Count Dracula himself is seen but little during the telling of the tale. The action centers itself around the search for him and the efforts of the five men and one woman who risk themselves to bring about his destruction. For most of the novel the pace is good, and while it does slow and become cumbersome in spots, it is a very tolerable read.

Horror and supernatural are genres of which I have little interest. I do not seem to get the same thrill from carnage and spine-chilling as some do. I do not watch such shows as Criminal Minds and Dexter and cannot quite fathom what others find fascinating there. In that vein, this was not my cup of tea. On the other hand, there was something that pushed (or perhaps pulled) me through this novel and I am glad to say I have read it.

I did look for some greater themes in it, such as the ones easily found in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I confess that I did not find them. The idea that Lucy and Mina might have been lost to God and salvation because of some action by this monster was a negation of any religious theme, and I felt strongly that there was nothing here to find beyond the sensationalism of a good scary tale, much as one might find in a B-rated horror flick.

I will be anxious to see if others in the group of readers finds something significant that I have missed. Perhaps my lack of lust for the subject matter has dimmed my ability to squeeze out the lessons planted within?

To anyone planning to read Dracula, I say dive in, it is a bit of fun and a flashy ride. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Un muy buen clásico que hay que leer ( )
  jordisolisc | Aug 7, 2022 |
Classic Vampire Story!

I am not going to do a backstory as everyone should know what this story is about but I will give out a few thoughts on how the book made me feel.

Thoughts:

This was my second re-read of this book, but when I first read it back in 2017, I was just mesmerized by the storyline and the spookiness of the story itself. This book was also the first book I had ever read that was written in the form of a diary. I have to say that it was also the first book that I had read with that type of old writing style as well so it took some time getting use to how the book was written, but this time I just slipped right back into the storyline.

The author, Bram Stoker just slowly pulls you into the story and the creepy buildup of what the character Jonathan Harker has to endure as he stays with the Count is just loaded with trepidation of what is going to happen next. I read the book a little slower this time to absorb the happenings with Harker and his tale of his stay in the castle.

I was more spooked out this time around for some reason with reading the book slow and the part of the story where the Count is climbing the wall still freaks me out. I don't know why really but I still get the "heebie-jeebies" when I read it. I can just imagine the horror felt by Harker as he has to deal with everything and I slipped into that time era as well while reading the book this time as I became more in-tune with the emotions of what Harker was experiencing.

This book is definitely a timeless horror classic! This book is considered the great-great grandfather of all vampire books and it is a book that should be read by all vampire/horror fans! Giving this book five "Fangtastic" stars!

Highly Recommend!

For images/gifs of this book, please see my blog:
https://booknookretreat.blogspot.com/2022/03/dracula-by-bram-stoker.html ( )
  BookNookRetreat7 | Jul 25, 2022 |
Couldn't read this book, heaven knows I've tried. When I found the audiobook, I was like 'yeah!', finally I could try to listen to this. And it did work. Yes, this is a classic horror story, but also not that awesome. It's pretty good though, so three stars. ( )
  AceVonS | Jul 14, 2022 |

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
Al leer estos papeles se verá claramente cómo han sido ordenados cronológicamente. Se ha eliminado todo lo superfluo con objeto de presentar esta historia -casi en contradicción con las posibilidades de creencia en nuestros días- como simples hechos. No se hace referencia alguna a sucesos del pasado sobre los que la memoria se puede equivocar, dado que todos los escritos seleccionados son rigurosamente contemporáneos de los hechos, y reflejan puntos de vista y experiencias de quienes los consignaron.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
A mi querido amigo Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
Diario de Jonathan Harker (Redactado taquigráficamente)
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue'.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgment, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgment or adaptation.

6305078181 is for the 1979 movie directed by John Badham.

A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas: Contexts includes probable inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of James Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and "Dracula's Guest," the original opening chapter to Dracula. Reviews and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. "Dramatic and Film Variations" focuses on theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David J. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptations are included.

Criticism collects seven theoretical interpretations of Dracula by Phyllis A. Roth, Carol A. Senf, Franco Moretti, Christopher Craft, Bram Dijsktra, Stephen D. Arata, and Talia Schaffer.
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)
Dracula could teach
Edward not to sparkle so.
He hates those books too.
(hillaryrose7)

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

Current discussions

Dracula in Gothic Literature

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832521, 1907832653

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,097,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible