Dracula (Penguin Classics) by Bram Stoker

Dracula (Penguin Classics) (original 1897; edition 2003)

by Bram Stoker

23,39648147 (3.95)4 / 1593
Member:sdicht
Title:Dracula (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Bram Stoker
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:***

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203, Morteana)
    Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (HollyMS, HollyMS)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula: Biography of Vlad the Impaler by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    Varney the Vampyre or The Feast of Blood by James Malcolm Rymer (Sylak)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)

1890s (38)

English (452)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  French (5)  Slovak (1)  All (1)  Polish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (479)
While I liked this book, I felt like the last half of it really dragged as Van Helsing and his group of willing accomplices made arrangements to travel to finally find and rid the world of Count Dracula. The pace really bored me at some points and I think that is the reason I could put this book down over a six-week period in favor of something else. ( )
  dariazeoli | Mar 21, 2018 |
Going into this novel, I was a little anxious. I have heard so many amazing things about this book that I was scared that I was going to hate it. This book has been on my “To Read” list ever since I watched “Lost Boys” and fell hopelessly in love with vampires. Needless to say, Dracula is one of those books that have been recommended to me by anyone who knows my obsession with vampires and my love of reading. I couldn’t help but worry that I was going to despise this novel and therefore become one of “those” vampire enthusiasts. You see, I’m one of those readers who hates some of the most beloved books of my generation. I still get the look of horror when I tell someone that I hated “Fahrenheit 451.” I would hate to see the accusatory glares I would receive if I hated “Dracula.” Fortunately, I did enjoy this novel so my anxiety was unjustified.

“I have been so long master that I would be master still, or at least that none others should be master of me” – Page 18

I have to say, the format was definitely unique. Dracula takes place in letters and journal entries and it was not my typical story format. This meant that I read this book slower than normal. At times I felt that this book dragged. I believe this is because of the format and the older writing style. I also noticed something that was a little disconcerting… I noticed that I was drained while reading it which does not happen often. The characters are interesting, the story is unsettling, and all in all it’s entertaining. Yet, I am left drained after I read a chapter. I am slightly ashamed to admit that I have actually fallen asleep while reading this novel. I even took this book to a coffeehouse, and still I found myself nodding off at times. What I find interesting is that I am not alone in this. I have talked to some friends and they too admit that the book was exhausting.

“I seemed to wish to keep him to the point of his madness” – Page 52

I did end up switching to the Audiobook read by Tim Curry, Alan Cumming, and a full cast. This helped me pass the time while reading/listening to the book. I found that I paid better attention to the novel and felt less drained while listening the audiobook.

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” – page 198

All in all, this book really captivated me. The characters were fascinating. I loved the fact that there was a strong woman in the book (even when the men in the novel were chauvinistic and slightly annoying at times). I truly enjoyed that the story was pretty grim and unsettling. I tend to like darker novels, and this was right up my alley. While I don’t anticipate the need to read it again, I am glad that I have marked this classic novel off of my “to read” list.
I’d love to hear about your experience and opinion reading this dark classic. Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.
  KristyJewel | Mar 21, 2018 |
I did it, I did it! I finally read DRACULA!!! ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
Although I am a big horror fiction reader and devour everything I can find about Vampires and Werewolves, I had never actually gotten around to reading Dracula. I am happy that I can now say I have read it, although I don't think I would read it again. I did enjoy the story and how it was written as a collection of journals and news entries.
"If ever a face meant death - if looks could kill - we saw it at that moment." ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |
I really really enjoyed this book over all. The characters were all well written and seemed to be intelligent (in practical matters), which is something that I have found to be rare in the classics that I have read over the past year. They did their research and prepared themselves for what they had to do to defeat Dracula. They didn't wimp out and break down over the tiniest thing, which I strongly applaud them for.

As for the individual characters, Van Helsing was my favorite. He quickly recognized what was going on and acted accordingly. His efforts only being foiled by those who were ignorant of the facts (Lucy's mother, for example). He was the main source of success for the group's efforts, in my opinion.

Mina was a surprisingly strong female character for a book written at that time (1897), at least that I have read. Although she was still limited by the men around her (them wanting to protect her and keep her away from all strenuous things due to her being a dainty woman), she still contributed a great deal in her way. She helped to organize the writings that led the men to go about planning to end Dracula's existence. Although she was still overly weepy and emotional to me, she held up surprisingly well, especially in the end when the whole group was armed and surrounding the box containing Dracula. Huge kudos to the men for seeing that Mina was an important part of their plans and allowing her to be there.

The other men were brave and held up their ends of everything they said they would do (and quickly) when in other books they seem to just dilly about and cause things to only get worse. It was actually sad to me that Quincey died.

The ending was very satisfying. It seemed like the characters were not going to make it in time and I thought that Dracula was just barely going to escape. And from there that the author would just leave it on a cliff hanger to make it seem like this great evil would always be around. I am so glad that it ended with Dracula's demise.

The reason I docked this book a star was because of the passages with the accents of the different peoples that our characters interacted with. They made the story difficult to read and at times understand. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgment, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgment or adaptation.

6305078181 is for the 1979 movie directed by John Badham.

A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas: Contexts includes probable inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of James Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and "Dracula's Guest," the original opening chapter to Dracula. Reviews and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. "Dramatic and Film Variations" focuses on theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David J. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptations are included.

Criticism collects seven theoretical interpretations of Dracula by Phyllis A. Roth, Carol A. Senf, Franco Moretti, Christopher Craft, Bram Dijsktra, Stephen D. Arata, and Talia Schaffer.
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832521, 1907832653

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,507,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible