Back in Black

by Lori Foster

Series: SBC Fighters (5)

Gillian Noode is hired to be the publicist and "handler" for Drew Black, the president of a growing sports business and a tactless big mouth with a reputation for causing trouble.

In Back in Black we have the fifth book in the SBC series. Now I saw this at my library so I just grabbed it up because lately I have been in a MMA Fighter romance mood and I just became so endeared by the sound of this one. Now what was unexpected that I didn't see coming was the two romances. We have Drew and Gillian. Now Drew is the head of his business, he has turned the sport around to be highly respected. But he is crude and doesn't care about being politically correct in any situation. Gillian is sent to teach him to be more "polished". It soon is obvious how much chemistry they have. Despite the career opposition they have with each other, they act on their feelings for each other. And I found that to be so refreshing. Drew is a hoot, I love how unashamed he is of himself. He doesn't apologize for anything and I liked seeing that in a hero. And boy in how he is with Gillian is quite funny and outrageous at times. He is a alpha male and makes decisions without even talking to her. Adds some unique conflicts they have with each other that prove to be very very amusing. Our next couple is Brett and Audrey. Now Brett is a fighter and knows that he wants to know Audrey the moment he sees her. Audrey has no clue that Brett is a fighter. She is bitter against fighters since she lost her brother in a fight. She is against violence and so we see how different these two are in some ways but we also see how strong they are together. They have some issues to overcome but I loved this couple so very much. I probably got into this couple more than Drew and Gillian. I just had more "feels" when reading their story than I did with Drew and Gillian. And what also surprised (but shouldn't have considering that Foster liked to add this in her books) is the sense of a villain and quite frankly I never saw this villain coming until the end. I also love it when a author surprises the reader in different ways. Although this is far from my favorite book this author has written since the romance between Drew and Gillian fell flat for me I truly enjoyed all the other aspects of this series and can't wait to read more of this series. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 31, 2019 |
Two romances for the price of one. PR consultant Gillian is hired by those financing the SBC to steer Drew Black, the man who created and lives for the SBC, into a more personable figure. He wants nothing to do with it, but is intrigued and turned on by her looks and her brain. Someone wants to discredit him in the worst way and will do anything to bring that about.

The other romance is between an up and coming fighter, Brett and Audrey, the woman who created WAVS; Women Against Violent Sports. She has a change in attitude once she gets to know Brett and learns that there are rules in place to prevent the type of fighting that killed her brother.

I enjoyed the dual romance, especially as there was enough ink devoted to each that you don’t fill gypped on the second one. Prior fighters met in the series are on hand but have a smaller role than in the earlier stories. The characters are all likeable, but Drew does take a little getting used to. The threat involves a bomb threat, hit and run, arson and a shooting. The perp is interesting and wow, what a nutcase.

A nice escape for a few hours. ( )
  dearheart | Sep 20, 2015 |
While the overall story is good, I'm confused as to why Drew would need a PR handler. He was brash, brutally honest, and used words some would be uncomfortable with; but he knew what and when all of that was appropriate. ( )
  lesmel | May 21, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Never before published from the New York Times bestselling author

Gillian is a PR expert hired to smooth out the rough edges on hot- headed sports club president Drew Black. He's rough, raw and ready for any challenge Gillian throws his way. But which one's going to end up on top?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,584,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible