The Virgin and the Gipsy by D. H. Lawrence

The Virgin and the Gipsy (1930)

by D. H. Lawrence

The Quarry Wood by Nan Shepherd (edwinbcn)
    edwinbcn: Written by a woman, "The Quarry Wood" explores the awakening sexuality and awareness of the young Martha. More outspoken than Thomas Hardy, but not yet as free as D.H. Lawrence.
    Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence (Booksloth)

My first D.H.Lawrence book and I am pleasantly surprised. Sometimes when I pick up well rated books by 'Great authors', I worry a little. Because even though I'm supposed to like it, sometimes I don't! And naturally I review it saying that.

Anyway, I genuinely enjoyed this little book. Beautiful story telling, great characters all within this tiny little book. It took me a few pages to get absorbed and then I was in. And I don't think I can say much more without giving away too much of it. Its short, its good and it's worth reading. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Apr 6, 2017 |
When I was 14 I thought this was the shit.
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
D.H. Lawrence is the master of psychoanalysis. Though he hated Freud and the likes of him. ( )
  5oclockgazpacho | Nov 22, 2014 |
I devoured this novella. The ending was perfect and my favourite part. ( )
  vwriter | Jun 12, 2014 |
A real, wild bodice-ripper of a book, but much better written because D.H. Lawrence whether he was writing his deep, intense novels or frippery like this, wrote really well. I don't like romances much but this one was quite good, if a bit silly and unlikely, but then that is often the point of romance books anyway. In this case, because the book is so old and it does read in a dated way too, it could be excused by saying it was 'of its day'. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
When the vicar's wife went off with a young and penniless man the scandal knew no bounds.

The Virgin and the Gipsy was discovered in France after D. H. Lawrence's death in 1930. Immediately recognized as a masterpiece in which Lawrence had distilled and purified his ideas about sexuality and morality, The Virgin and the Gipsy has become a classic and is one of Lawrence's most electrifying short novels.

Set in a small village in the English countryside, this is the story of a secluded, sensitive rector's daughter who yearns for meaning beyond the life to which she seems doomed. When she meets a handsome young gipsy whose life appears different from hers in every way, she is immediately smitten and yet still paralyzed by her own fear and social convention. Not until a natural catastrophe suddenly, miraculously sweeps away the world as she knew it does a new world of passion open for her. Lawrence's spirit is infused by all his tenderness, passion, and knowledge of the human soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:14 -0400)

"In post-war East Midlands, in a home dominated by their difficult grandmother and aunt, Yvette and Lucille are two sisters struggling to bring joy into their lives. Their mother, having run off in scandal, leaves the two to suffer a dysfunctional family life and oppressive domesticity. But one day, Yvette meets a free-spirited gypsy, awakening her sexual desires and compounding her disenchantment." -- Back cover.… (more)

1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,582,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible