The Book of Secrets

by Tom Harper

In a snowbound village in the German mountains, a young woman discovers an extraordinary secret. Before she can reveal it, she disappears. All that survives is a picture of a mysterious medieval playing card that has perplexed scholars for centuries.Nick Ash does research for the FBI in New York. Six months ago his girlfriend Gillian walked out and broke his heart. Now he's the only person who can save her - if it's not too late. Within hours of getting her message, Nick finds himself on the run, delving deep into the past before it catches up with him.Hunted across Europe, Nick follows Gillian's trail into the heart of a five-hundred-year-old mystery. But across the centuries, powerful forces are closing around him. There are men who have devoted their lives to keeping the secret, and they will stop at nothing to protect it.… (more)

I will give this book 3.5 stars.

The premise is extremely good. There are 2 distinct storylines in this book. One is the history of the secret and the other one set in the present where they are trying to unravel the secret.

Like I said very good, but it had parts where I had to force myself to keep on reading.... ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
A bit Da Vinci Code-ish, but better told, not so convoluted. The ending wasn't so good though. Good holiday reading/page turner. ( )
  Kampuskop | Aug 1, 2015 |
A surprisingly engaging thriller intercut with a historical fiction plot that I always love that further ensnares me into the background of the story. Looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  Clifford.Terry | Apr 30, 2015 |
Very Da Vinci code-esque, but not quite as good an ending.
  STilton2 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Why is it that books about books are so enticing? This one takes the idea of a thriller about books to a whole new level though, it's actually about Gutenberg!

The author's note reminds the reader that not a lot is known about Gutenberg, so some embellishment was necessary. Regardless, I found the historical aspects to be quite believable. It was exciting to think about the work that went into creating the first printing press, and then reading a copy made from a modern version. It's really quite incredible how far we have come in the past few centuries.

This background is set against a modern thriller, where this man is trying to find his ex-girlfriend who appears to have been kidnapped while searching for an original copy of one of the first printed books. As the modern day seekers discover more about the book, or at least wonder what may have gone into this book, we are juxtaposed with the real story about how the book was created. To be honest, I did find the historical parts much more interesting than the modern thriller, however a nice balance was maintained between the different stories.

Another great book for reading on the beach this summer! ( )
  mrn945 | Jun 7, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,639,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible