Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with…

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Member:Ana66
Title:Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin Audio (2010), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD, 1 pages
Rating:***

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (2010)

Say what you will about Elizabeth Gilbert (my only real complaint is that she can sometimes get a little stream of consciousy and rambly), this book had a lot of interesting insights into the weirdness and importance of why we search for and need romantic partnership. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
Committed, a follow-up novel to the bestselling Eat, Pray, Love, is a continuation of Elizabeth's and Felipe's love story. On a routine trip back to the States, Felipe is whisked off by government officials who leave the couple with a choice: get married, or never again have Felipe in the United States of America. And so Elizabeth Gilbert must confront what Felipe and her never wanted to experience again: marriage. While I think some readers may not enjoy this novel because Gilbert, in her journey to confront and make peace with the idea of marriage, delves into the history of Western marriage, I found that aspect interesting. Readers should, as I did, greatly enjoy the story of Felipe's fight to gain access to the U.S. and Elizabeth's and his journey down the aisle.

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book ~ I liked reading about her travels and how their relationship blossomed into a "Real Marriage" ... I really enjoyed EAT PRAY LOVE and I would say this was a close 2nd ... I enjoyed the way Elizabeth wrote these books ... Bringing the reader into her own experiences ... ( )
  KPhotoWrtr2 | Sep 12, 2017 |
On Marriage / Relationship
P 49 asking too much love / marriage not job description to be each other's everything
Pg 55 early Western marriages for safety — more family the Better —
Pg 118 Let grievances dissolve, forgiveness the nurse
P. 183 Women adjust / adapt, glide, accept — men no elasticity
Pg 214 — Say — Let's Be Careful Now — when start / having a fight

At the end of her bestselling memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian-born man of Australian citizenship who'd been living in Indonesia when they met. Resettling in America, the couple swore eternal fidelity to each other, but also swore to never, ever, under any circumstances get legally married. (Both were survivors of previous bad divorces. Enough said.) But providence intervened one day in the form of the United States government, which-after unexpectedly detaining Felipe at an American border crossing-gave the couple a choice: they could either get married, or Felipe would never be allowed to enter the country again. Having been effectively sentenced to wed, Gilbert tackled her fears of marriage by delving into this topic completely, trying with all her might to discover through historical research, interviews, and much personal reflection what this stubbornly enduring old institution actually is.
  christinejoseph | Jul 11, 2017 |
I really loved Eat, Pray, Love. Not exclusively because of the content, but because of the voice resonating throughout the pages. I loved the way Ms. Gilbert told her tale. I felt as if I could relate to her. I was very excited to pick up Committed. I initially thought it was a sequel to Eat, Pray, Love and when I discovered it was not I quickly got over my disappointment.

I feel like I am in the perfect stage in life to read this book as I too am moving forward in life and am getting married myself in August. I thought she shared some fascinating information and I enjoyed reading about the evolution of marriage through the ages. Sometimes I too wonder what the point is. Whether or not that paper is necessary. It was nice to find a commonality in that.

I probably won't read it again, but I think it has made me a better, more informed individual. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
And yet, if the sum of the parts in “Committed” add up to an awkward whole, many of those parts are nevertheless terrific.

Ms. Gilbert has made "Eat, Pray, Love" look like a happy accident. Her "Committed" is less of a follow-up than an excuse to tread water.

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiberg, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no greater risk than matrimony. But there is nothing happier than a happy marriage.

Benjamin Disraeli, 1870, in a letter to Queen Victoria's daughter Louise, congratulating her on her engagement.
Para J. L. N. — o meu coroa
Late one afternoon in the summer of 2006, I found myself in a small village in northern Vietnam, sitting around a sooty kitchen fire with a number of local women whose language I did not speak, trying to ask them questions about marriage.
Maybe divorce is the tax we collectively pay as a culture for daring to believe in love -83

If you think it's difficult to talk about money when you're blissfully in love, try talking about it later, when you are disconsolate and angry and your love has died. -116

Leaving a blighted marriage is not necessarily a moral failure, then, but can sometimes represent the opposite of quitting: the beginning of hope. -132

another single friend replied, "Wanting to get married, for me, is all about a desire to feel chosen....that will unequivocally prove to everyone, especially to myself, that I am precious enough to have been selected by somebody forever." -169
Even within my own community, I can see where I have been vital sometimes as a member of the Auntie Brigade. My job is not merely to spoil and indulge my niece and nephew (though I do take that assignment to heart) but also to be a roving auntie to the world — an ambassador auntie — who is on hand wherever help is needed, in anybody's family whatsoever. There are people I've been able to help, sometimes fully supporting them for years, because I am not obliged, as a mother would be obliged, to put all my energies and resources into the full-time rearing of a child. There are a whole bunch of Little League uniforms and orthodontist's bills and college educations that I will never have to pay for, thereby freeing up resources to spread more widely across the community. In this way, I, too, foster life. There are many, many ways to foster life. And believe me, every single one of them is essential.
This was tentatively titled Weddings and Evictions but was never published under this title.

The #1 New York Times bestselling follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love--an intimate and erudite celebration of love.

At the end of her memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian living in Indonesia. The couple swore eternal love, but also swore (as skittish divorce survivors) never to marry. However, providence intervened in the form of a U.S. government ultimatum: get married, or Felipe could never enter America again. Told with Gilbert's trademark humor and intelligence, this fascinating meditation on compatibility and fidelity chronicles Gilbert's complex and sometimes frightening journey into second marriage, and will enthrall the millions of readers who made Eat, Pray, Love a number one bestseller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:35 -0400)

Picking up where her bestselling memoir "Eat, Pray, Love" left off, Gilbert details the extraordinary circumstances that surround her love with Felipe, the man she swore never to marry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,900,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible