Rude Awakening (Sheriff Milt Kovak Mysteries…

Rude Awakening (Sheriff Milt Kovak Mysteries (Hardcover)) (edition 2009)

by Susan Rogers Cooper (Author)

202515,329 (3.25)None
Member:emessufan
Title:Rude Awakening (Sheriff Milt Kovak Mysteries (Hardcover))
Authors:Susan Rogers Cooper (Author)
Info:Severn House Publishers (2009), 208 pages

Rude Awakening by Susan Rogers Cooper

I've been reading the Sheriff Milt Kovak mysteries for years, so I was happy to find this new book on the library shelf. In it, a man awakens after eight years in a coma with his memory intact and one thing on his mind: vengeance on Milt's wife Jean. Emil Hawthorne is not a nice man and will stop at nothing to make Jean suffer.

Meanwhile, one of Milt's deputies, Dalton Pettigrew, goes missing -- which makes his domineering mother become nuttier than she already is. When Dalton's sister Mary Ellen responds to his plea for help, she goes missing, too. Then there's the kidnapping.

Although I liked the story, I was disappointed to find so many grammatical errors in this book. Normally, such errors don't make their way into my consciousness unless they're blatant -- and these were. I realize that some authors use more colloquial language in their narratives -- hoping to give a unique voice to their first-person narrators. If that was the author's intention, for me it fell flat. Using "me" in a subject just grates on me, as in "Jean and me headed for the sheriff's department." Ugh!!!

01/11/2010 ( )
  NewsieQ | Jan 11, 2010 |
Prophesy County, Oklahoma, is usually a quiet place, but now in a short span of time they have a missing deputy, two kidnappings, and two murders.

None of the police investigations actually go anywhere. The sheriff's wife does dig out some answers, and the police chief uncovers an unknown murder, but the crimes are solved pretty much by accident.

Not very satisfying, but I didn't resort to skimming, so I almost added a half-star. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Sep 19, 2009 |

The tenth Milt Kovak mystery from this best-selling author . . . - Strange things are happening in Prophesy County. First, Deputy Dalton Pettigrew disappears on a mysterious date in Tulsa. His sister goes to rescue him, only to disappear herself. She'd left her middle child, Eli, in the care of Jean, the sheriff's wife, but now he's missing too. Who is the mysterious Dr. Emil Hawthorne, and why is he out to get Jean? Can Milt Kovak find Eli before it's too late?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:27 -0400)

Mary Ellen has left her son in the care of Sheriff Milt Kovac's wife, Jean. However, when Eli goes in search of his inhaler he disappears. Who is the mysterious Dr Emil Hawthorne and why is he out to get Jean? What did she do to him all those years ago that even eight years in a coma can't erase from his brain?--Publisher.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,080,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible