Wish

by Alexandra Bullen

Series: Wish (1)

After her vivacious twin sister dies, a shy teenaged girl moves with her parents to San Francisco, where she meets a magical seamstress who grants her one wish.

This book was a lot deeper subject matter than what I expected. It was a hard book to read and while it was about Olivia, mostly the focus was on her finally letting go of her sister Violet. She needed to learn how to live life again. This was a truly good book and Iwould definitely recommend it! ( )
  AnnaKay21 | Nov 22, 2011 |
This was a very weak novel, with a very poor premise, and a very crappy cast of characters.

The only reason I kept reading was to see how much worse it could possibly get. It played out like a hilariously bad made-for-TV movie that you only ever find on television because you're home sick and you keep watching it partially because you can't believe something could ever really be that bad, but mostly because you don't have the energy to reach the remote. This novel was a flu-induced Hallucination of Badness. Only this novel about magical wish-granting-dresses is for real (I think?), and I read the whole damn thing. What a waste of time.

There was no spark, no life in these characters, nothing special in the prose. The characters moved around and said and did things and moved from one scene to the next, but nothing actually mattered. Everything felt flat and stiff. The entire plot hinges on the death of the main character's sister, but the emotions were all completely mishandled and the entire thing felt cheap.

Sometimes things just happened for no reason at all, like the author couldn't find a way to connect scenes. The writer also got on my nerves for explaining something, then contradicting it a paragraph or two later. Example: The ghost in the story is described as being non-corporeal, then less than a page later she manages to program a GPS without the main character knowing. Um, okay. Whatever. ( )
  pocketmermaid | Jun 23, 2011 |
OK, so Wish didn’t follow all of the normal three wishes cues (two deceivingly bad wishes and one to make everything go back), but it’s hard to say that there weren’t markers. In spite of this, I had a fun time reading it. ... please read the full review at: http://tipsyreader.com/books/reviews/book-review-wish/ ( )
  tipsyreader | Mar 18, 2011 |
Very unique. I honestly haven't read or heard of anything with this book's same plot. Would recommend to any YA reader. Got it on my Kindle for free and ended up being one of my favorite books. Now I'm contemplating on buying the next book, Wishful Thinking! ( )
  ForgottenDoll | Feb 12, 2011 |
I enjoyed reading this book but I found it rather slow. It was one of those books that kinda dragged for a while, then gets exciting....then its over. It was a quick easy read and I do plan on reading the next book.

A little too much attention was paid to the clothes in this book, which got a bit annoying to me. ( )
  snaprebelx | Jan 17, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

Wish (1)

As the story unfolds, we learn that Olivia has been uprooted from all that she knows to find herself in a new school, in a new state, and without her fearless twin sister to help navigate the social mores. Her parents are distant. Her first friend at school exists only because their two moms work together, and – worse than that – he wears squishy mushroom-colored loafers. And then she sees a boy. One who meets her eyes and smiles like he knows her. But, of course, he is dating the prettiest and most popular girl at school.

In her complete and utter loss, Olivia does the very best she can with what she has. She finds a tailor, Posey, who can fix dresses to suit the wearer in a way that is unexpected. In fact, Olivia has no idea that her bad night had a purpose, and her wish to see her sister again is about to come true. It is only in re-tracing steps and asking questions that Olivia realizes what a gift she has been given.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,436,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible