A Murderous Procession: A Mistress Of The…

A Murderous Procession: A Mistress Of The Art Of Death Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Ariana Franklin (Author)

8685719,470 (3.93)1 / 122
1176, King Henry II's daughter is set to marry the king of Sicily. But when several wedding guests are murdered during the procession, Adelia must uncover who is behind the killings and who is the killer's real target.
Member:Altivo-
Title:A Murderous Procession: A Mistress Of The Art Of Death Novel
Authors:Ariana Franklin (Author)
Info:Penguin Canada (2011), 400 pages

Work Information

A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin (2010)

Abandoned. The theme has become tedious and I really, really do not want to read about old Scarry. That was a side-saga part of Book 3's plot and I wasn't going to tolerate the chase and killing and blah, blah, blah. So I'm done with this set of characters. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Nov 10, 2021 |
So I didn't realize until I found it on GoodReads that this is a middle book a series. Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy to just jump into as Murder in Chinatown, so I'm giving up.

That said, I absolutely loved the opening. It started out with an intense free-for-all soccer/football/rugby game that everyone got wrapped up in. It was a great scene! There also was a pretty good diverse cast of characters--the main character was a Sicilian woman, her partner-in-medicine was an Arab eunuch, and there was definite differentiation between the different groups of people living in England. But I just couldn't jump on board with characters that had a lot of history when I didn't know anything about them, was a bit put off by the fact that Excalibur just appeared out of nowhere, and was disgusted to find that while a bishop's affair was condoned a gay couple was shoved to the forefront as the villains--and the fact that they'd been lovers was the first thing mentioned about them. They better have had a decent showing earlier in the series.

For the record, the reason I am putting this down is because it's a later installment in a series and I can't get on board in the middle. It has nothing to do with the "fact" that, as some random sexist old guy on the subway said, "Women don't write the best murders." Ugh! ( )
  books-n-pickles | Oct 29, 2021 |
A Murderous Procession (Mistress of the Art of Death) is a book that keeps its pace from beginning to end. However, the biggest problem is its length and the fact that it comes to abrupt end. It felt like the author was just getting into the story when she decided to end it. The characters who are supposed to be liked are liked and those who are evil are evil and not liked. The best part of the book was the author explaining the historical people who the characters were based upon. Because of the abrupt ending this book received a nice solid four stars. ( )
  lbswiener | Aug 5, 2021 |
I love this series. Rather original. ( )
  RobertaLea | Jun 10, 2021 |
It would really be great to have some more books in this series, but with the writers passing I guess we will never see any more work. This is a good addition to the series. She really keeps you on your toes. The history is good and writing is smooth and well rounded. ( )
  Joe73 | Apr 29, 2020 |

Franklin, Arianaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Löcher-Lawrence, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pasetti, Maria ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my brother, Roger, and my sister-in-law, Ann.
Between the parishes of Shepfold and Martlake in Somerset existed an area of no man's land and a lot of ill feeling.

From the Publisher: Joanna, the youngest of King Henry's daughters, is on her way to marry William II, king of Sicily. The journey will be long and dangerous, so Henry sends the only doctor he trusts -- Adelia Aquilar, who is just as gifted with the living as she is with the dead. Usually, Adelia would be eager to visit her homeland, but Henry insists she leave her daughter in England as insurance she'll return. Adelia takes out her bitterness on Rowley, her former lover and Henry's most loyal man. Rowley is along for protection because a princess travelling with a fortune in jewels and gold is a tempting target, especially when among the treasures is the great sword Excalibur. Henry has decided to give it to his future son-in-law and greatest ally -- to keep it from his ambitious sons. But the scheming of princes is nothing compared to a madman who seeks revenge because he blames Adelia for his lover's death...

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,267,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible