Drive: The Surprising Truth About What…

Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Daniel H. Pink

2,620893,460 (3.88)37
Member:EdM_VirtualBookshelf
Title:Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
Authors:Daniel H. Pink
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 256 pages

Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H. Pink (2009)

Recently added byBKosten, private library, Floyd3345, OhioOBM, Matt_B, custercar, GMcSo, indyruss, Tanglewood

English (87)  Spanish (1)  All languages (88)
Very interesting book. Although it is about management practices in a changing society, it had enough psychology thrown in to keep my interest throughout. Also, if you don't want to read the whole thing or only want the gist, there is a section in the back that outlines the whole book. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
240 pages but actually it's half of that. Outdated ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Seeing this book in the same general area as Csikszentmihalyi's Flow books, I've found it enjoyable so far. That is, until the last chapter or so I've enjoyed it, when my estimate of the book decreased sharply.

I read Free Agent Nation and liked it as well. At least a couple of passages in Drive, however, have over-sold its subject. The author also has a generational bias, as evidenced by the praises sung about Baby Boomers and Gen Y, and complete omission of Gen X. Since Pink is a Baby Boomer and makes mention of it, the book's sometimes grandiose tone is understandable.

Having gotten his general points and specific examples, I stopped at part 3.

Overall, still and enjoyable and worthwhile read. ( )
  TheMagnificentKevin | Oct 12, 2018 |
Intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation.

I am surprised that this book is recommended for teachers. I personally believe there are many books out there which are more focused for teachers. This book is a book that basically only focuses on motivation. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
I was recently paging through “Lean Logic” by David Fleming, when I came across an entry about incentives. As I’m working on a blockchain project focused on shifting behavior towards regenerative agriculture and ecological stewardship, it seemed with exploring. Fleming is very critical of incentive schemes, and cited a number of sources on the subject, including Pink’s book.

“Drive” is about intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation in the business context, so it talks a fair bit about incentives. The book is from 2009, and it already feels a bit dated (it was an era where hackathons were called “FedEx days”). Regardless, it is a concise exploration of these topics.

Incentives are good at motivating people to do boring, repetitive tasks. On the other hand, if a task requires autonomy, mastery, and creativity, incentives can actually drive out internal motivation and get people addicted to the reward. Then, as soon as the reward goes away, they no longer have the internal motivation to fall back on. The key to long-term motivation? Fostering an inherent curiosity in a subject, which, necessarily, means not using coercion or manipulation.

There are instances where behavior is intermingled with reward, such as within a job. Pink has found that the best arrangement for long-term performance is to minimize people’s fixation on money by providing them with what they need, and then letting them forget about provisioning and dollar-denominated merit. Think: opposite of Goldman Sachs.

I’d like to explore this topic further, and one book that keeps coming up is Alfie Cohn’s 1993 “Punished by Rewards.” I’d also like to learn more about people applying this thinking to the blockchain space. ( )
  willszal | Sep 17, 2018 |
For Sophia, Eliza, and Saul —
the surprising trio that motivates me
In the middle of the last century, two scientists conducted experiments that should have changed the world—but did not.

Pink argues that the secret to high performance and satisfaction in today's world is the deeply human need to direct our own lives, to learn and create new things, and to do better by ourselves and our world.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847677681, 184767769X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,631,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible