Open: An Autobiography by André Agassi

Open: An Autobiography (2009)

by André Agassi

Other authors: J.R. Moehringer

English (69)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (78)
I have a fascination with tennis (which unfortunately doesn't translate to being talented at tennis) and I remember Andre Agassi playing. I remember being upset that he shaved his head and got rid of his signature locks (back then we didn't know about his hair problems).

I'm not sure what I expected from this book, but I didn't get whatever it was. It started out decently--talking about his childhood and his father teaching him (or forcing him to practice) tennis. I was amazed that he did so well in a game he basically hated. But in between the personal life stuff, it seemed like a lot of factual recitations of his games and career.

I appreciated his honesty about his feelings about tennis and winning/losing. I appreciated that he admitted he decided to take drugs and that he wrote a false explanation to the tennis board (I wonder if his admission of this many years later would cause problems for him in the tennis world?) He seemed to understand what went wrong in his relationship with Brooke Shields (though she's not painted in the most beatific light--he does admit what he did wrong in the relationship too.) I was most surprised that she didn't think any of the people around him were good for him except Gil. I thought most of them seemed to be good friends to him in that they interceded with him if he was destroying himself, were honest with him loyal to him.

I'm glad he found love again with Stefanie Graf. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Apr 29, 2019 |
I knew very little of Andre Agassi (that he played tennis and had long hair, that was it) before reading this autobiography. I had mixed feelings about this, but I somewhat think that's the point of this book. I still don't quite understand why Agassi continued to play tennis, because after he goes pro and leaves his family, I really can't see what his motivation was.

His father seemed to be a huge driving force for Agassi to play tennis, yet he is only mentioned a few times after Agassi goes pro. I was surprised how little his family is mentioned beyond the beginning.

Brooke Shields comes across as remarkably shallow in this book. Considering she gets a thank you at the end, perhaps she agrees with it. I don't know much about her either.

Other tennis greats get mentioned, but thankfully Agassi avoids going into long introductory bios on them and only writes about them in the context of how he knew them--on the courts, mostly. It makes me want to read more on Sampras and Chang, although it's clear he doesn't care for them much.

It's interesting to read about the history of tennis in the last 25 years or so--from Connors to Sampras to Federer through his eyes. It is an excellent read and I'm sincerely glad Agassi seems much happier with Steffi Graf and doing charity work. I have to say, it is unlikely Agassi would be able to do what he does without tennis, and he seems to know that. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Andre Agassi’s Open surges like an epic tennis match: fast paced, riveting, suspenseful; something that makes you grimace, something that makes you stand up and cheer. Deep in the crevices of the narrative, beyond the commentating, the spectacle of stardom, the rankings, the wins, and the losses, breathes important life lessons. The unfolding details, profound honesty, and ultimate resolution are shining examples of what being vulnerable is truly about. Open is a thoughtful, bold, and engrossing story of Agassi’s exhilarating triumphs and harrowing defeats, leaving readers open-minded, openhearted, and openly adoring his truth. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
autobiog of Andre Agassi — frank account of his tennis years — love / hate control of game
mastering his mind / body — growing up with control freak father

Agassi’s incredibly rigorous training begins when he is just a child. By the age of thirteen, he is banished to a Florida tennis camp that feels like a prison camp. Lonely, scared, a ninth-grade dropout, he rebels in ways that will soon make him a 1980s icon. He dyes his hair, pierces his ears, dresses like a punk rocker. By the time he turns pro at sixteen, his new look promises to change tennis forever, as does his lightning-fast return.

And yet, despite his raw talent, he struggles early on. We feel his confusion as he loses to the world’s best, his greater confusion as he starts to win. After stumbling in three Grand Slam finals, Agassi shocks the world, and himself, by capturing the 1992 Wimbledon. Overnight he becomes a fan favorite and a media target.
  christinejoseph | Jul 10, 2017 |
Agassi seems to be a thoughtful, sensitive, and sincere guy who was thrust onto the world stage almost against his will. I was a big tennis fan during the years he played and I was fascinated by his descriptions of the mental side of the game. I was not a big fan of his until the end of his career, when he ditched the big hair and on court antics and signed to play for the pure joy of the game (maybe). ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
“Open” is one of the most passionately anti-sports books ever written by a superstar athlete — bracingly devoid of triumphalist homily and star-spangled gratitude.

Somebody on the memoir team has great gifts for heart-tugging drama.

Agassi, AndréAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lupi, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Möllemann, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meudal, GérardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stefanie, Jaden, and Jaz
"I open my eyes and I don't know where I am or who I am."

From Andre Agassi, one of the most beloved athletes in history and one of the most gifted men ever to step onto a tennis court, a beautiful, haunting autobiography.

Agassi brings a near-photographic memory to every pivotal match and every relationship. Never before has the inner game of tennis and the outer game of fame been so precisely limned. Alongside vivid portraits of rivals from several generations—Jimmy Connors, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer—Agassi gives unstinting accounts of his brief time with Barbra Streisand and his doomed marriage to Brooke Shields. He reveals a shattering loss of confidence. And he recounts his spectacular resurrection, a comeback climaxing with his epic run at the 1999 French Open and his march to become the oldest man ever ranked number one.

In clear, taut prose, Agassi evokes his loyal brother, his wise coach, his gentle trainer, all the people who help him regain his balance and find love at last with Stefanie Graf. Inspired by her quiet strength, he fights through crippling pain from a deteriorating spine to remain a dangerous opponent in the twenty-first and final year of his career. Entering his last tournament in 2006, he’s hailed for completing a stunning metamorphosis, from nonconformist to elder statesman, from dropout to education advocate. And still he’s not done. At a U.S. Open for the ages, he makes a courageous last stand, then delivers one of the most stirring farewells ever heard in a sporting arena.

With its breakneck tempo and raw candor, Open will be read and cherished for years. A treat for ardent fans, it will also captivate readers who know nothing about tennis. Like Agassi’s game, it sets a new standard for grace, style, speed, and power.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

A candid memoir by the tennis champion covers his Grand Slam wins, establishment of a charitable foundation for underprivileged children, and marriage to Stefanie Graf.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,437,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible