Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True…

by Adam Selzer (Author)

Member:Carol420
Title:Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
Authors:Adam Selzer (Author)
Info:Llewellyn Publications (2009), 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***1/2

Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter by Adam Selzer

The thing I really liked about this authors writing was that he didn't try to sell the reader on the idea of the existence of ghost. I guess he really didn't have to since the "ghost Tour" business that he and a partner run in Chicago will attract customers regardless. Some will believe and the rest are there for the entertainment. The man's stories are amusing and entertaining...perfect for a dark night around a campfire or a Halloween party. I don't know if ghosts exist and Adam Selzer really doesn't know either but he still doing his tours of supposedly haunted places with an open mind. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 10, 2018 |
Do ghosts exist? That is the question of the century, well, several centuries. Adam Selzer has written a very thought provoking account of his high points with Chicago Spooks and later Weird Chicago, his own tour company. He also addresses in easy to understand language the why there might be's and why there couldn't be's of the ghost question. He says early in the book that he doesn't believe in ghost. This seems to be the theme of all the ghost hunters. I think they "protest too much." I do agree that we will never prove or disprove the existence of ghost through any scientific investigation that we have currently available to us or perhaps ever. Overall it was informative, very entertaining, and sometimes extremely funny. If you are at all interested in the subject or just want to see if grandma is really visiting you or is she just a gob of energy, this is your book. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Meh...The subtitle is not appropriate. This book is not true tales of a ghost hunter...I wish it had been. There were a couple good chapters talking about the tours he was running and various spooky things that he had seen, but the rest of the book was meh. There was a chapter on psychics, mainly his good friend the psychic and how there are different kinds and the history of spiritualism and the tools you may or may not need for ghost hunting.............

Ugh...If you picked up this book, you have probably seen a ghost hunting show or two and have a basic knowledge of what an EVP is, or what an EMF meter supposedly detects...

His writing was good and I loved his sense of humor, but most of the content left me bored to tears and brought down a book that had a lot of promise. ( )
  bookwormteri | Oct 29, 2012 |

Do ghosts really exist, or is "ghostly phenomena" just strange stuff that gets blamed on dead people? Giving you the real story, professional ghostbuster and skeptic Adam Selzer of Weird Chicago Tours delves into a mysterious death at a former funeral parlor, nightly ghost sightings at Hull House, and more. Proving that not all ghost hunters are kooks (some are just geeks gone wild), Selzer showcases true spooky tales worldwide, a history of hauntings, the art of ghost hunting, and cool evidence of paranormal phenomena and the supernatural. These ghost stories will make you want to investigate that cemetery down the road to see if it's haunted—or just dark and creepy.

"Any remotely spooky place that people sneak into in order to get wasted will eventually turn up on a TV show, website, or book about ghosts."
—Selzer's First Theorem

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:00 -0400)

Do ghosts really exist, or is "ghostly phenomena" just strange stuff that gets blamed on dead people? Giving you the real story, professional ghostbuster and skeptic Adam Selzer of Weird Chicago Tours delves into a mysterious death at a former funeral parlor, nightly ghost sightings at Hull House, and more. Proving that not all ghost hunters are kooks (some are just geeks gone wild), Selzer showcases true spooky tales worldwide, a history of hauntings, the art of ghost hunting, and cool evidence of paranormal phenomena and the supernatural. These ghost stories will make you want to investigate that cemetery down the road to see if it's haunted--or just dark and creepy.… (more)

Adam Selzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,210,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible