Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire…

Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action (edition 2011)

by Simon Sinek (Author)

..."Why are some people and organizations more innovative, more influential, and more profitable than others? Why do some command greater loyalty from customers and employees alike? Even among the successful, why are so few able to repeat their success over and over? People like Martin Luther King Jr., Steve Jobs, and the Wright Brothers might have little in common, but they all started with why. It was their natural ability to start with why that enabled them to inspire those around them and to achieve remarkable things. In studying the leaders who've had the greatest influence in the world, Simon Sinek discovered that they all think, act, and communicate in the exact same way -- and it's the complete opposite of what everyone else does. Sinek calls this powerful idea The Golden Circle, and it provides a framework upon which organizations can be built, movements can be lead, and people can be inspired. And it all starts with WHY. Any organization can explain what it does; some can explain how they do it; but very few can clearly articulate why. WHY is not money or profit--those are always results. WHY does your organization exist? WHY does it do the things it does? WHY do customers really buy from one company or another? WHY are people loyal to some leaders, but not others? Starting with WHY works in big business and small business, in the nonprofit world and in politics. Those who start with WHY never manipulate, they inspire. And the people who follow them don't do so because they have to; they follow because they want to. Drawing on a wide range of real-life stories, Sinek weaves together a clear vision of what it truly takes to lead and inspire..."--Jacket.… (more)
Member:vanusa
Title:Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
Authors:Simon Sinek (Author)
Info:Portfolio (2011), Edition: Reprint, 256 pages

Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek

English (22)  Italian (1)  All languages (23)
Simon Sinek is one of those extremely motivational figures of our age that you can either truly love or you can truly hate because he always brings a bigger picture into anything and pretty much everything he loves to discuss about. I first heard of him through Impact Theory channel, when he talked to Impact Theory's creator about Millennial generation of people and why it's hard for Millennial generation of people to succeed and exceed in this world. His speech didn't surprise me at all, for I already knew certain points he mentioned within it, but he proved himself to me to be extremely knowledgeable on the matter, and thus in his own way convinced me to give one of his books a shot. And boy, how glad I am for giving this one a shot, for the knowledge he shares within it with the world is very extensive and provides its avid reader with this immense amount of energy and this immense want and desire to thrive in this world. In short, Simon, pretty much delivers a large extent of his knowledge into your mind and like always has you see a much bigger picture and as the title of his book suggests, helps you discover and start With Your Why. ( )
  Champ88 | Dec 25, 2019 |
A one sided argument on why the 'whys' are more impt.

The world is made up of left and right Brainers. for every one person who bot an apple device because of status quo/belief, there will be another person who will care about the minor details, the different features across devices and buy an android phone.

people still care about the whats. some people will buy a white phone regardless of brand. They care about what color they are wearing.

Some people will care about the how's. An engineer will be interested in how things are made.

Technically speaking, you can just watch the author's podcasts and get the same results and I don't really like the examples used. ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |
A one sided argument on why the 'whys' are more impt.

long winded and repeated examples. While the whys may be the most important, the what's and the how's are also quite impt. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
I read this book after watching his TED Talk and loving it. While I really enjoyed this book I found this book to pretty much just expand on what he already said in that talk. So if your looking for something profoundly different this isn't worth picking up. If you want more of the gritty details and more examples on the importance of Why then this is for you.

One thing I really enjoyed was his talking about people who are why people or how people by nature and how great partnerships developed because of this. I actually found this book really motivating, I do think this could fall under self-help because we all have that why that motivates us and if we know what it is we can find what kind of work or life will keep us feeling fulfilled.

Another key takeaway was making sure everything lines up to that why. He speaks from a Business perspective, saying that you'll feel unauthentic if what you provide doesn't line up with the Businesses Why but I feel this is another thing that fits in well with our personal lives.

Overall I'm glad I picked this up and have already recommended it to a friend. ( )
  Kylana | Aug 13, 2018 |
Listened to the audiobook narrated by the author. As with most such titles, it was a magazine article writ large. The point that organizations (businesses, specifically) need to be grounded in the why of their foundings to survive applies more widely, as in education.

The writing & narration were workmanlike, but I would recommend to any institution in transition. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
For Victoria, who finds good ideas and makes them great
There are leaders and there are those who lead. Leaders hold a position of power or influence. Those who lead inspire us. Whether individuals or organizations, we follow those who lead not because we have to, but because we want to. We follow those who lead not for them, but for ourselves. This is a book for those who want to inspire others and for those who want to find someone to inspire them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,565,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible