Silent Scream by Lynda La Plante

Silent Scream (2009)

by Lynda La Plante

Just as her boss is trying to block her promotion, Anna Travis gets a case that could make or break her career-- the murder of a British film star, who lived a sad and sordid life of sexual and chemical excess and was about to write a memoir revealing every dirty detail.

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
A gritty police procedural by the author of the Prime Suspect series with Jane Tennison. This series features young detective Anna Travis who is investigating the murder of an up-and-coming actress. It was longer than necessary because there was so much interpersonal detail about Travis and her ex-lover who is also her superior officer. It was OK, but La Plante's writing has become formulaic. I'll read more of the series sometime and hope she changes the tune.
  VivienneR | Jul 14, 2019 |
Anna Travis is investigating the murder of up and coming young actress, Amanda Delaney. There is little evidence to go on and the squad seems to stumble along with no real progress. Of course, it is Anna who provides the leads that help solve the case.
SILENT SCREAM is Lynda La Plante’s Book 5 of her Anna Travis Mysteries series.
SILENT SCREAM is a crime thriller, a suspenseful mystery and a ‘police procedural’.
Travis is a very flawed character - a brilliant detective, extremely hard-working - but obsessed with her job. With no family, friends or even close co-workers, her stress levels are off the charts. She can be quite stubborn and impetuous and is haunted by and hounded by ex-lover (and Boss) James Langton.
The book is quite detailed, well-organized and suspenseful. I like this series. I just wish I liked the main characters a bit more. ( )
  diana.hauser | Dec 18, 2016 |
I read this a while back - certainly enjoyed it enough to want to read more by Lynda LaPlante. ( )
1 vote DowntownLibrarian | Dec 31, 2012 |
“Silent Scream” by Lynda La Plante:

The title is very fitting as it’s exactly what I did at the end. I was so sure that I had figured out who the murderer was that when I got to the end and saw how wrong I was, I let loose my own soundless shriek.

DI Anna Travis investigates the heartbreaking murder of Amanda Delany, an up-and-coming star. Addicted to drugs and sexually licentious, Delany is found to be anything but the moral innocent some would like to think she is.

Witnesses, potential suspects and even Delany’s parents are hauled in for questioning. In search of a motive for Delany’s brutal slaughter, evidence is unearthed divulging deception, fraud and cover-ups.

Amidst the investigation, Travis is recommended for promotion. But during her day long interview for the position, her ex-lover and boss reveals a shocking allegation that could keep her from attaining her dream.

This procedural story is its own evidence that one silent scream can ultimately be a whisper of death. British writer La Plante shows Travis’ impressive investigative skills and with the help of her team, unravels the mystery of a dreadfully, heartrending murder. ( )
1 vote StarrReina | Dec 5, 2011 |
what a really fantastic book i would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers with strong female characters if anyone out ther knows of any other authors that write english thrillers with strong female characters i would be very grateful if you could send me a message ( )
1 vote kazimiera | Dec 9, 2010 |
[N]ot only a well-thought-out mystery but a fascinating look into the lives of young people dealing with rapid success and extreme wealth.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal

To my sister Gilly Titchmarsh.
The driver was not her usual one, but as the night filming had been completed ahead of schedule, she had been released from the set in West London earlier than expected.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,871,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible