dismiss

Information is Beautiful by David McCandless

Information is Beautiful (original 2009; edition 2010)

by David McCandless

7441920,918 (4.02)9
A visual guide to the way the world really works Every day, every hour, every minute we are bombarded by information - from television, from newspapers, from the internet, we're steeped in it, maybe even lost in it. We need a new way to relate to it, to discover the beauty and the fun of information for information's sake. No dry facts, theories or statistics. Instead, Information is Beautiful contains visually stunning displays of information that blend the facts with their connections, their context and their relationships - making information meaningful, entertaining and beautiful. This is information like you have never seen it before - keeping text to a minimum and using unique visuals that offer a blueprint of modern life - a map of beautiful colour illustrations that are tactile to hold and easy to flick through but intriguing and engaging enough to study for hours.… (more)
Member:stevepugh
Title:Information is Beautiful
Authors:David McCandless
Info:Collins (2010), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:data, information, non-fiction, infographics, design, art

Information is Beautiful by David McCandless (2009)

To sell: 8€
  hugodf | Jun 20, 2020 |
These days we are surrounded by data, every transaction online or in a shop is recorded, processed and analysed. That data is sucked into vast databases that are then used to sell you even more stuff.

But in the hands of McCandless this vast data stream is shown in all its magnificence. He has taken the facts and numbers and made them beautiful, elegant and more importantly understandable. The range of subjects he has covered is vast too, there are maps of the internet, global spending, radiation charts, popular books, DNA, the evolution of computers, drugs, religion, alcohol, coffee, google search terms and many many more. All are shown in the most relevant form to aid clarity.

It is not without its flaws; I'm not completely sure that all the data is 100% accurate. Some of the graphical layouts are magnificent, cleverly constructed to portray the maximum amount of information clearly. It doesn't have a huge amount of text, just information. Lots and lots and lots of information. Well worth a look if you are interested in this type of thing, but not up to the standard of of of Tufte's masterpieces. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
My understanding when I purchased this book for school was it would help explain how to use ConceptMaps, Visual Graphics etc. however, the book only has graphic but no explains. ( )
  LauraALuttrell | Mar 21, 2020 |
Most exciting visual representation of data that I've ever experienced. That being said, sometimes I did not understand how the data was being represented. Overall, visually stimulating and interesting. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Dec 6, 2017 |
Many facts of doubtful authenticity or selective; format far too small and you needs a magnifier to see a lot of detail; many charts far too complicated; colour choice makes text unreadable in some cases (eg. white text on yellow background); USA bias; some facts just plain uninteresting. ( )
  wcarter | May 8, 2017 |
to the beautiful internet
This book started out as an exploration. Swamped by information, I was searching for a better way to see it all and understand it. Why not visually?
 The Visual Miscellaneum and Information is Beautiful are respectively the US and UK titles of the same book by David Mccandless.

Errata for the 12 pages of printing errors is available here : http://www.informationisbeautiful.net...
The Visual Miscellaneum is a unique, groundbreaking look at the modern information age, helping readers make sense of the countless statistics and random facts that constantly bombard us. Using cutting edge graphs, charts, and illustrations, David McCandless creatively visualizes the world’s surprising relationships and compelling data, covering everything from the most pleasurable guilty pleasures to how long it takes different condiments to spoil to world maps of Internet search terms. Amazon.com

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,853,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible